Can a chicken lay more than one egg a day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gwen, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Gwen

Gwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Langley, Washington
    I'm wondering if a chicken can lay more than one egg a day? We have 7 chickens and I'm pretty sure we got 8 eggs one day. Perhaps it went unnoticed from the day before but I don't think so. Also, I'm trying to figure out which chickens are laying which eggs and that is also indicating that perhaps someone is laying more than one egg a day. Not often but occasionally. What do you think?

2. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have wondered about this as well. It will be interesting to see comments.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

It happened to me once. The egg came out mis-colored, but otherwise OK.

Lots of times a second egg comes out shell-less or otherwise "off" because it wasn't ready to be laid yet.

4. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Its certainly not the norm but it does happen occasionally.

5. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    I had a White Leghorn years ago, who laid two eggs in one day two times and laid 30 straight days before a day off.

1 person likes this.
  6. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    i have a bantam mille fleur that is on her 16th day in a row, 3 days ago we got 2 from her, i dont know whether to be worried or happy! I told the RIR's that they have a lot to live up to, they just squatted and stamped their feet....... i told them no!

7. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    I had it happen twice. It was a Rhode Island Red and the first time it happened it was a soft shelled and hard shelled at one time.

8. fishman65

fishman65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    according to the chicken book it takes a hen 25 hours to produce a egg. thats why they lay on average an hour later everyday. So the book says.

9. siriradha

siriradha Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2009
    Colorado Springs, CO
    [​IMG] Okay! Now I know I'm not hallucinating! I got 4 eggs from 3 chickens today. Extra good news because one of the ladies has been laying soft shelled eggs lately!

10. CindyG

CindyG Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my little Serama hens gave me two eggs in the same day once. It's pretty rare tho.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by