1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can a chicken lay more than one egg a day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gwen, Jan 15, 2010.

1. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I would think that if a hen skip a day its possible for her to lay 2 eggs the next day. And I don't see why a hen that lays an occasional double yoker wouldn't also lay 2 eggs.

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I had a BSL get locked in the feed tub overnight- so for 24 hours. When I opened it the next day there she was with 2 eggs. She didn't seem the least bit upset about being in there with all the goodies either [​IMG]

3. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Yes, I have a Del hen that will hold hers then lay me 2 a day and then hold them.... like she's playing keep-away or something and then having to catch up.

4. heksa

heksa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    My white rock laid two eggs the first day it started laying. One of the eggs had soft shell though.

5. lizgreene

lizgreene New Egg

Nov 27, 2010
    My Maran laid two eggs yesterday - I know because I only have two chickens and I had three eggs in the morning. All had hard shells. I suspect she laid two the day before too. She hadn't laid in a while while the my goldstar lays faithfully one every morning. I had been picking up the Goldstar and stroking her every morning, so I started doing that with the Maran and after a few days of that she started to lay again.

6. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    I had 8 eggs from six hens one day, so it does happen, regardless of "what the book says". [​IMG] I don't go along with the, one hour a day later, lay time either. If anything my hens seem to be laying earlier, rather than later...maybe it's just the time of year..

1 person likes this.
  7. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    When my rir was the only chicken here I got 2 eggs one day I know it was her as she was a solo act.

8. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I'm thinking what if a hen lays at midnight and then at 11:59 PM? [​IMG]

9. PattyO

PattyO Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    In the new edition of Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens it says that in 1979 a strain of superior Leghorns developed at the University of Missouri averaged more than one egg a day per hen. One of the hens laid 371 eggs in 364 days, and another laid an egg a day for 448 days without a break. Amazing!

10. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Did anyone's chickens who were laying multiple eggs per day survive? Or did they all get egg peritonitis and die? How long did they live after the daily multiple-egg laying started or occurred?

Thanks for your help.

Clare

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by