Can a chicken lay more than one egg a day?

I would think that if a hen skip a day its possible for her to lay 2 eggs the next day. And I don't see why a hen that lays an occasional double yoker wouldn't also lay 2 eggs.

I had a BSL get locked in the feed tub overnight- so for 24 hours. When I opened it the next day there she was with 2 eggs. She didn't seem the least bit upset about being in there with all the goodies either
tongue.png

Yes, I have a Del hen that will hold hers then lay me 2 a day and then hold them.... like she's playing keep-away or something and then having to catch up.

My Maran laid two eggs yesterday - I know because I only have two chickens and I had three eggs in the morning. All had hard shells. I suspect she laid two the day before too. She hadn't laid in a while while the my goldstar lays faithfully one every morning. I had been picking up the Goldstar and stroking her every morning, so I started doing that with the Maran and after a few days of that she started to lay again.

I had 8 eggs from six hens one day, so it does happen, regardless of "what the book says".
smile.png
I don't go along with the, one hour a day later, lay time either. If anything my hens seem to be laying earlier, rather than later...maybe it's just the time of year..

In the new edition of Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens it says that in 1979 a strain of superior Leghorns developed at the University of Missouri averaged more than one egg a day per hen. One of the hens laid 371 eggs in 364 days, and another laid an egg a day for 448 days without a break. Amazing!

Did anyone's chickens who were laying multiple eggs per day survive? Or did they all get egg peritonitis and die? How long did they live after the daily multiple-egg laying started or occurred?

Thanks for your help.

Clare

Back
Top Bottom