Can a Chicken raise Ducks?

MillersFarm

Easily distracted by Chickens
5 Years
Jun 3, 2016
Lewiston NY
Hey there! So i have a pretty broody hen that sitting on 5 eggs, THis is my second time letting a broody hen hatch eggs so i wont to do much work, The only problem is... She hatching duck eggs and im worried when they hatch she'll think something is wrong with them and abandon them. So should i let her hatch the duck eggs? Thank you for all the replies!

My hens raise guineas, despite the language barrier. There is a guy on here that recently posted about his turkey that is raising ducks. The birds are versatile, and I think they will be fine. Just have a backup plan in place.

I think the biggest problem is the ducklings going into the water and drowning.

? Ducks are precocious swimmers. As long as the "pool" (ie a shallow pan of water) is easy for them to get in and out of, drowning shouldn't happen unless by some freak accident. But even at under a week they will dive and splash and do all the things adult ducks do.

If you meant the chicken drowning, that's not likely unless its a huge deep pool of water. Keep them away from that until they are weaned and mama hen will be fine to watch them splash in the kiddie pool.

? Ducks are precocious swimmers. As long as the "pool" (ie a shallow pan of water) is easy for them to get in and out of, drowning shouldn't happen unless by some freak accident. But even at under a week they will dive and splash and do all the things adult ducks do.

If you meant the chicken drowning, that's not likely unless its a huge deep pool of water. Keep them away from that until they are weaned and mama hen will be fine to watch them splash in the kiddie pool.

It may sound stupid but i have heard a lot of stories of it happening.It Probably happens when they get older and there going into ponds/Big swimming pools.

I'm very glad to hear! just the thought of a hen raising ducklings is so adorable! :love
I've also been thinking about adding more eggs under her, they are kahki campbell eggs and there not much bigger then my leghorn eggs. So would 10 be too much for the hen to handle? I had a JG hatch out 16 eggs before, had no trouble with keeping them warm, and in case she rejects them i'll have a brooder box set up. Now the drowning thing worries, I've raised ducklings before and had one drown, NO idea how, She and her other siblings could get out just fine though they were only 4 days old, I guess i'll just wait a week or so after they hatch to add a little swimming container. Thanks for the great info!:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom