1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can a dog get frostbit

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sundance, Mar 1, 2009.

1. we got about 5 in snow last night and when I turned J.R, my yorkie out for his usual morning "go," went back in the house and when I called him, I could barely see him coming thru the snow, his poor feet had big chunks of ice frozen to the hair on them wrapped him up in a heavy towel and rocked until all the snow melted, but dumb dog had to go back out and play in it. so can a dogs feet get frostbit or are they ok if they are not in it to long. [​IMG] marrie

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

they can but it takes a little while.

3. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Yeah they can, just get of the ice chunks when he comes back in and he should be fine.

4. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    I think the Yorkie will be fine. You might be careful how long you leave him outside, though. I'm sorry about your Dane. They are so much like people. [​IMG]

5. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Dogs can definitely get frostbite but if your dog is only going outside for a short time it's probably unlikely. They do make dog boots that you can get to put on your dog. They can
    give them protection and more traction. Here's an example online.. probably pretty easy to make yourself to if you are so inclined.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=13539

There's also a balm that protects them, it's called Musher's Secret, it's a wax
    product you rub on the paws to help protect them, used by dog sledder's.
    One of my dog's wouldnt wear the booties and kept losing them, so I have that
    also. My other dog loves his booties and won't go out until I put them on...[​IMG]

http://www.musherssecret.net/

Yes I know I'm in CA and don't see much snow at home but we go up to Tahoe a lot and that's where I use these [​IMG]

Good luck!

Nancy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by