NineChickens

Songster
May 23, 2017
Can a single dove (like a diamond, cape, or ringneck) live with a single male canary? What about a single pigeon living with a aungle male canary? I know canaries are solitary birds but people keep them in aviaries just fine.
Would the dove or pigeon be sad it didn't have a friend of the same species or will they be fine?

Can a single dove (like a diamond, cape, or ringneck) live with a single male canary? What about a single pigeon living with a aungle male canary? I know canaries are solitary birds but people keep them in aviaries just fine.
Would the dove or pigeon be sad it didn't have a friend of the same species or will they be fine?

No. Don't keep a canary and dove together in a cage.

You can keep canaries and small species of doves mixed together only in an aviary, so the birds have plenty of space to avoid each other.

Canaries like to live alone (only pair up for breeding season).

Doves and pigeon like to live in pairs.

If you put a dove in a cage with your canary the canary will be very stressed. Will stop singing and may attack the dove. The dove will be very unhappy as it will not like to be without a mate of the same species. Doves like to cuddle up and groom each other, kissing beaks and being very affectionate. Canaries will not like this sort of behaviour at all.

Your canary will be much happier on its own, with company from you.

If you want to keep doves you are best to get another cage and keep a pair in there. They can be in the same room so the canary will get interest from watching them.

Finally, never keep a pigeon with a small bird like a canary or even small doves. Pigeons are strong and can kill a small bird just by giving it a slap with a wing.

My buddy tried and the canary hassled pecking t doves eyes until dove brokr canaries neck after chasing and wearing out then cornering in big cage. I've hears of people in big cages with hiding places on ground for, keeping button quail with canary, but they all bate around like lil weirdos,so assuming they stress each other.

Back
Top Bottom