Can a drake outrank a rooster?

I never had trouble with any duck/chicken interactions until a few months ago. They all would exist in harmony with each other.
I hatched a flock of black copper Marans that would graze the yard often with my call ducks. But eventually the rooster got big, became aggressive toward my ducks, and my dog, and even a few times toward me. That flock was rehomed because of that rooster. (Went to someone aware of his actions, he would be eaten if it continued)
Otherwise, the ducks would usually lower their bill to the ground and shove the chickens away, if they wanted to, and that was that! So I would have to say it’s highly dependent on your flock itself. Could easily go either way, and could change as flock dynamics change.

Thank you for all the information and suggestions everyone :)

We have been letting the rooster and sex links out with him for a couple of hours a day while we watched them. The duck seems more use to the rooster now and has stopped chasing him, he has gone back to doing his own thing and ignoring the chickens. We will still be watching them and their interactions incase he suddenly decides to start mounting the hens. The rooster is due for his next dose of the contraceptive implant soon so I might ask the vet if it is an option for the duck too. I haven't heard of it being used on drakes but perhaps it can reduce his urge to mount like it does with my rooster. Though I think he may be a bit too old (3 years old) for it to have any long term effects.

Back
Top Bottom