Can a duck and some quail live together?

KenjiQuacker

Songster
Jan 24, 2021
Issaquah Washington
I'm hatching several quail eggs and my friend gave me a fertile duck egg about a week and a half ago. The duck egg is for sure growing, and I was wondering if you could house a female duck with some quail? The quail would be in a hutch away from the duck most of the time, but is it ok to let them be in a large pen together? I know with males they might be aggressive or try to mate with the quail (not sure if that ever happens, just trying to think of all the possible problems that may occur.) So my friend offered to take the duck if it's a male. But would a female duck be ok with a few quail for about an hour a day? (most of the day the duck would be with me or i would get it a friend and keep it in a separate pen, and just let the duck and quail go in my moms garden for about an hour each day.)

Last edited:
I'm hatching several quail eggs and my friend gave me a fertile duck egg about a week and a half ago. The duck egg is for sure growing, and I was wondering if you could house a female duck with some quail? The quail would be in a hutch away from the duck most of the time, but is it ok to let them be in a large pen together? I know with males they might be aggressive or try to mate with the quail (not sure if that ever happens, just trying to think of all the possible problems that may occur.) So my friend offered to take the duck if it's a male. But would a female duck be ok with a few quail for about an hour a day? (most of the day the duck would be with me or i would get it a friend and keep it in a separate pen, and just let the duck and quail go in my moms garden for about an hour each day.)
The duck would need a duck friend they are social birds

ok thank you! If i do ever end up putting them in the same pen i'll definitely be watching them btw.

I just would avoid it all together, especially since I believe you said it's possible for you to have seperate pens, I wouldn't let them roam together, even supervised it's just probably easiest to make them seperate runs :D make sure the quail run has branches and stuff to break up the sightlines! And If your duckling does turn out to be female be sure to get her some girlfriends as well

I just would avoid it all together, especially since I believe you said it's possible for you to have seperate pens, I wouldn't let them roam together, even supervised it's just probably easiest to make them seperate runs :D make sure the quail run has branches and stuff to break up the sightlines! And If your duckling does turn out to be female be sure to get her some girlfriends as well
I'll definitely be getting another duck friend for it lol, and thanks! I'll probably be able to make 2 separate runs.

Back
Top Bottom