Can a egg hatched once it has a hole?

Markkinley

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2020
Hi guys,

just curious, I went to crack open a egg as my hen has been off the nest with her wee chicks now for like 4 days. And to my surprise there is a chick in there that is alive.

so I have chucked it in my incubator I was just wandering if this could still hatch or nah?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 40
Hello;

If the membranes are intact then the chick MAY survive!

The two membranes form a barrier to keep the nasties out.

The membranes help with Gaseous exchange, i.e. Carbon dioxide OUT; Oxygen IN.

Both the inner and outer membranes are clear and translucent.

They don’t have a colour as much as they have a sheen, a slight pearly gloss that can just be picked up with the naked eye.

Attachments

• Chook Egg Details.gif
    Chook Egg Details.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 11
Hello;

If the membranes are intact then the chick MAY survive!

The two membranes form a barrier to keep the nasties out.

The membranes help with Gaseous exchange, i.e. Carbon dioxide OUT; Oxygen IN.

Both the inner and outer membranes are clear and translucent.

They don’t have a colour as much as they have a sheen, a slight pearly gloss that can just be picked up with the naked eye.
I think everything is in tacked other then the shell, well that’s what I’m hoping for can I cover the hole do you reckon?

thank you for your help

So I did a quick search and found this where someone had a similar issue. Besides the antibacterial ointment it said you can also use coconut oil.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-chick-hatch-assist-gone-awry.814028/#post-11809945

good luck!
Thank you for that,
It must be a late Hatcher as they are all from same batch and there is no possible way it was due any other time.

fingers crossed I will leave it over night and see if I can see move the inside the egg in morning

Back
Top Bottom