Can a fox climb a fence?

Yes...they can! On June 30th I had one climb over my 6' fence and grab one of my girls. She screamed something fierce and we were home. Ran outside and we were able to save her but she was in bad shape being dragged over the fence. She has a crooked neck now and in our "rehab." She is actually recovering quite well. I left my dogs out the rest of that night and covered my pen the next day AND made sure girls are "locked" in their house in the evening. My girls pile on top of each other at the door of coop at night and were an easy target. Now they get hearded up EVERY night. Too scared to put another gal through that...it was horrible. So, cover up completely! So sorry of your loss.
sad.png

I only had 17 chickens and they killed 12!!! I decided to start over with chickens. The remaining 5 I sold to a farmer. This weekend we are re-doing the chicken lot. It will be covered! I have had good luck for 5 years and they hit hard when they did!!

I got told that if u put up a fence but leave it unstable enough to wobble but not enough to fall over the fox cant grip and has trouble getting over... but yeah, they do climb.

I have 6' high horse fencing with barbed wire above that........I watch them fly over it every day. We have red fox, and yes, they do climb trees too, the other morning one was in one of my trees staring down at my neighbor's coop.

That video---WHOA. I thought they could only climb trees; i.e., digging claws into bark and using limbs as "steps," etc., but the fox in the video climbs up what looks to be a 4 X 4 post, which would be fairly slick. Amazing / scary.

Back
Top Bottom