Can a Golden Comet be bred?

This is very interesting. I'm going to tuck this little nugget of information away for later. I have eight golden comet pullets and while I have absolutely no intention right now of hatching any eggs, I could possibly see doing that in the future.

Well thank you all for your responses.

This is all very interesting.

I guess I was confused hearing that they wouldn't have offspring of the same type, and after a while thought they couldn't be bred at all! Oi...sorry.

Maybe I've been taking in too much information about chickens in the past year.

I wonder what kind of chicken would result from hooking her up with a Black Copper Maran, since she gives such dark eggs.

I've read that the darker the eggs a BCM produces, the less frequently she lays. I wonder if we could get a bird that lays darker eggs more frequently.

Just wondering.

Any thoughts?

Thats was interesting. Because i have two golden comets with 2 MASSIVE Light bramha roosters who mates them alot and im planning to hatch out some of their babies to see what the chicks look like..

After i hatch their babies, ill be breed them to Jersy giant after. going to be very interesting.

I wonder what kind of chicken would result from hooking her up with a Black Copper Maran, since she gives such dark eggs.

I've read that the darker the eggs a BCM produces, the less frequently she lays. I wonder if we could get a bird that lays darker eggs more frequently.

Just wondering.

Any thoughts?

New to this and have just determined that 2 of my 3 girls are golden comets (and I think the other is a white leghorn) - they came from a feed store as "commercial layers". I have decided to get a rooster as well and have just been offered a Black Copper Maran by someone at work... so it's interesting that you should mention this exact combination. At some point in the future, if you haven't already answered the question yourself, I may be able to shed some light on your question :D (of course that depends if these girls will sit on their eggs as I'd prefer to not have to raise the little darlings from eggs myself!).

I have 5 GC in with an Easter egger rooster and 4 EE hens. I have hatched some eggs from them. Out of 4 eggs, I got 3 EE colored, and 1 GC colored..

All the color on the external of an eggshell comes out of different parts of the hens' body. There is a schedule of different parts of a hens' body that becomes lighter and lighter with every egg she lays.

flock keepers of yore used these color changes to weed non laying hens from their flocks.

Some of these body parts are the hens' comb, face, beak, vent, and feet.

Giving that the color of the eggshell is only "skin' deep and does not go through the shell or affect the part of the shell that touches the egg, for the life of me I cannot phantom the reason anyone would think that egg color has any effect on the white or yoke of the egg.

I guess that this egg color thing falls in the same area as DE or maybe un-filtered apple-cider vinegar..

I guess I was confused hearing that they wouldn't have offspring of the same type, and after a while thought they couldn't be bred at all! Oi...sorry.

Just wondering.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Just wondering.

Any thoughts?

If you inbreed these birds for several generations and cull the off spring relentlessly, in a few dozen generations you may, [or you may not] produce a golden comet breed that reliably reproduces itself when bred to other golden comet chickens.

However you can't sell these chickens or their fertile eggs and call said chickens "golden comets" .

I have a Golden Comet who is so sweet and lays such beautiful eggs, I wish I could breed her!

She's so funny. She walks up a branch to get out of the pen, goes down the hill to our house, and lays her egg in the crawl space. Then she walks back up to the pen and waits for me to come open the gate so she can walk in.

She lays an egg almost every day, and each egg is so dark, perfectly formed, and delicious.

I understand that a GC cannot be bred with another GC to get a GC, but is it possible to get a baby if I hook her up with a rooster of another breed?

Thanks!!
I have had GC hens and GC roosters and have hatched probably close to 100 chicks or better. Some of them were able to be sexed by color some not. Most of the time I sexed by wing length and 90% of the time I was right. I never knew they weren't called GC babies... I had never been told that they wouldn't breed their combined breed.... and I actually had several hens that were VERY broody hens. I would have to take eggs from them bc other hens in the flock would keep laying in the same nest as soon as they would leave to go eat. I miss having my GC and I have not been able to find them again. I had to sell out my flock due to an unintended move in January this year.

I have a Golden Comet... I wish I could breed her!... I understand that a GC cannot be bred with another GC to get a GC... is it possible to get a baby if I hook her up with a rooster of another breed?

You will get a baby chick even if you breed your Golden Comet hen to a Golden Comet rooster, you just want get a Golden Comet chick. Like bred to like does not always produce an offspring like any of the offsprings parents. This is always true when trying to perpetuate hybrid plants or animals.

Back
Top Bottom