Can a goose join a duck flock?

I thought I liked ducks. Geese are more fun ;).
Yes, Geese are fun I agree!
The white Chinese would grab ducks and potentially drown them trying to dominate/breed them. He did drown a younger gosling as a teen and has killed several ducklings.
This is couldnt handle so I keep my geese separate from my ducks

I currently have 4 ducks (a drake and 3 hens). I really kind of want to get a goose as well.
My ducks have a large fully enclosed pen two 10x13 runs that are connected together plus their hut that they go into at night. They are in the pens unless let out and supervised which is usually for a few hours throughout the day. -we have lots of predators and free range would be a fast path to death and heartbreak.

I have never had geese please excuse my uninformed questions. I just find that BYC has more reliable information than any web search.

Can I get just one goose and would it be okay until it was old enough to be outside? If not
What if I got it at the same time as some duckings?

can geese and ducks live together well? If I had a male goose would it try to mate with my ducks or fight my drake? What special considerations are there for mixed duck/geese flocks? I feed my ducks Kalmbach duck and goose feed so I'd assume that would be covered. Is there other food considerations for geese that differ from ducks?

Last question - what breed(s) would you recommend? I'd like something that tends to be more calm and friendly - my animals are my pets, eggs are secondary benefit and I have 0 intentions of eating my animals.

if it's an overall bad idea I am open to that opinion as well with a reason why. I haven't committed to getting goose(geese). I just thought they would be fun to have around.
I had two Africans that lived with my ducks and they got along well. They kind of stayed to themselves though. One would be bitey if I got too close or tried to pet her but other than that she was really nice and calm. My other goose was really sweet and liked to be pet and held. He’d yell at me until I picked him up. They were very loud though if you don’t want very noisy geese lol. I agree it’d be best to get two instead of one they’d definitely be happier that way

Back
Top Bottom