Can a hen by her self in a small coop?

COCOmaran

Chirping
Sep 17, 2017
I have a bully hen I need to separate from the flock. I have an extra small coop in the run. It is cold winter here in Michigan. I am wondering if she can be by herself in the coop without heat for a week or so. What do you think? Thanks!

If she's already acclimated to the the heat it would be best to put her in a pair of pinless peepers to keep her aggression in check.

50pc-New-Red-Yellow-Pinless-No-Pin-Bolt-Chicken-Peepers-Eye-Glasses-Pheasant-Poultry-Blinders-Spectacles.jpg_640x640.jpg

However, if she is not acclimated to a heated coop, put her in her 'time-out' pen so long as she can remain dry.

Every night, I have one or two hens that choose to put themselves to bed in a separate coop from all the others and it has been near or below zero in that time.

Curious about that myself :confused:

Does it work for aggressive roosters?
It doesn't modify any behaviors. It makes it so a bird can't see right in front of it so most pecking misses it's mark. Best used when all other options fail as I assume it will also make it harder for the bird to eat, drink and potentially breath.

It doesn't modify any behaviors. It makes it so a bird can't see right in front of it so most pecking misses it's mark. Best used when all other options fail as I assume it will also make it harder for the bird to eat, drink and potentially breath.
Agreed.
It is not a fix, nor a preventative. It is simply a sort term solution.
It's like duct taping a hole in your boat.

I have a bully hen I need to separate from the flock. I have an extra small coop in the run. It is cold winter here in Michigan. I am wondering if she can be by herself in the coop without heat for a week or so. What do you think? Thanks!
Are you heating the main coop?
If so the change of temp could be stressful and injurious.
How big is coop, in feet by feet?
How many birds, with ages and genders?
Would be better to keep her in a crate in main coop....
...and figure out why she is being a bully.
More info would help.

What does a pinless peeper do to modify aggression?
It inhibits their vision, so harder to hit the mark.
Also would be quite distracting and makes normal functions more difficult,
can break the habit by suspending it for a time.

:confused:
Are you heating the main coop?
If so the change of temp could be stressful and injurious.
How big is coop, in feet by feet?
How many birds, with ages and genders?
Would be better to keep her in a crate in main coop....
...and figure out why she is being a bully.
More info would help.

It inhibits their vision, so harder to hit the mark.
Also would be quite distracting and makes normal functions more difficult,
can break the habit by suspending it for a time.

I'm curious, is there always a reason why a hen is a bully besides her personality? Not to hijack this thread but I have a hen who is mean to everyone and I've always wondered why, but can't figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom