Can a hen die from being broody? šŸ˜„

I had one of those prefab wooden coops the girls sleep in. It was horrid mites everywhere could not exterminate them all i think we even used metho and idk if that worked but probabky not they live in timy holes in the wood in between. Waste of $150 going into burn piles soon. They are horrid.
Use steel
Steel house for them or chicken tractor

Also dont forget to worm your girls every few months. My ex broody hen she pooped out 2 white worms once it was terrible

The eggs are in the incubator, although I donā€™t have much hope as I have no idea how long the eggs had no heat for. Also the incubator is a cheap one which I didnā€™t intend on using, so today I need to buy a hygrometer so I can get an accurate reading of the temp/humidity. I think the eggs are dead to be honest but itā€™s worth a try
Update : candled tonight, 3 eggs showing movement, 2 look well developed but canā€™t see any movement (not too sure what this means), 1 egg was completely undeveloped guessing it just wasnā€™t fertile
Fingers crossed :fl you will have some chicks hatch :jumpy please keep us updated! maybe 3 chicks! Hopefully 5!

Fingers crossed :fl you will have some chicks hatch :jumpy please keep us updated! maybe 3 chicks! Hopefully 5!
Very good news tonight!šŸ˜ƒ out of the 5 eggs (I took 1 out as it was unfertilised) 4 of them look very good lots of movement. 1 Iā€™m not sure about, thereā€™s no veins itā€™s just a big dark patch not really moving. I took some photos but they didnā€™t really come out very well.
The incubator is so bad itā€™s cheap and oldšŸ˜‚ but Iā€™ve managed to adapt a bit and make it work, I have to use bottle caps to put water in to get a decent humidity šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Attachments

• D051BF25-E18E-4016-B2C8-08F7E182C8E0.jpeg
    D051BF25-E18E-4016-B2C8-08F7E182C8E0.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 5184F338-63E5-4C13-9FD9-508EEF3B253F.jpeg
    5184F338-63E5-4C13-9FD9-508EEF3B253F.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 4
  • AD9F1B54-343E-4F3F-B2F3-509E3D845167.jpeg
    AD9F1B54-343E-4F3F-B2F3-509E3D845167.jpeg
    362 KB · Views: 4
Very good news tonight!šŸ˜ƒ out of the 5 eggs (I took 1 out as it was unfertilised) 4 of them look very good lots of movement. 1 Iā€™m not sure about, thereā€™s no veins itā€™s just a big dark patch not really moving. I took some photos but they didnā€™t really come out very well.
The incubator is so bad itā€™s cheap and oldšŸ˜‚ but Iā€™ve managed to adapt a bit and make it work, I have to use bottle caps to put water in to get a decent humidity šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Great news! :jumpy hopefully some will hatch in a day or 2!

Oh ok, I read in your first post that she was broody for 15 days (last Sunday) but did she not have eggs under her all the time she was broody?
.. So about 5 days then of waiting for your hatch! šŸ˜ƒ Goodluck!
Yeah thatā€™s right she was broody for a few days with no eggs under her, so around 5 days now šŸ˜ŠšŸ˜Š canā€™t wait

I'm so sorry about your hen. I have had silkies for decades and had them broody for 3 or 4 weeks without any eggs. Thats just the way they are, but never had any die on the nest. When I first started with chickens I religiously tried to keep them free from pests. Soaked the coop with chemicals and never came close to winning that battle. Now I keep the coop dry and provide good sand so they can dust themselves and it works as well as my attempts with chemicals. I would question as to whether a healthy hen would die from mites, a small chick, YES, but a hen?? I don't think being broody had much to do with her death though.

Back
Top Bottom