Can a hen die from being broody? 😥

I'm so sorry about your hen. I have had silkies for decades and had them broody for 3 or 4 weeks without any eggs. Thats just the way they are, but never had any die on the nest. When I first started with chickens I religiously tried to keep them free from pests. Soaked the coop with chemicals and never came close to winning that battle. Now I keep the coop dry and provide good sand so they can dust themselves and it works as well as my attempts with chemicals. I would question as to whether a healthy hen would die from mites, a small chick, YES, but a hen?? I don't think being broody had much to do with her death though.
Yeah it’s really confusing she was always a very healthy hen, never had any issues with her. When she became broody we moved her into her own coop which was completely clean with clean bedding, the eggs were also clean. She was checked each day and I never saw any mites until the day that I found her dead, it was late at night so I buried her but went out the next day to properly inspect and her nesting area was covered in mites everywhere. I’m not sure how it happened to be honest. Such a shame though 😟

Decided that I’m going to keep them inside for the first week then move to outside brooder just so I can monitor them better for a little bit.
Found some red Christmas lights that I’m going to use as it’s a bit dark without them, just need some bedding now.
End of day 19 now should have some chicks in the next few days 😊😊😊

Attachments

• 1307FA21-30AC-421D-BF76-C9518580327E.jpeg
    1307FA21-30AC-421D-BF76-C9518580327E.jpeg
    271.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 8D0BA65E-EB13-4F55-9E8F-0D52AAAF1AA9.jpeg
    8D0BA65E-EB13-4F55-9E8F-0D52AAAF1AA9.jpeg
    619.3 KB · Views: 4
I’m so sorry! From what I’ve read, silkies can be a little more delicate than others (mine is a house rooster so he’s pampered). It could have also been lice. A large lice infestation can kill a weakened hen. I would check your others - if one had lice it’s likely the others do as well. I believe you can treat them an the coop the same way - whether lice or mites (in the NW we have a dreaded red mite that hides and only comes out at night ☹️ that’s impossible to kill…but probably not what you’re facing)

I’m so sorry! From what I’ve read, silkies can be a little more delicate than others (mine is a house rooster so he’s pampered). It could have also been lice. A large lice infestation can kill a weakened hen. I would check your others - if one had lice it’s likely the others do as well. I believe you can treat them an the coop the same way - whether lice or mites (in the NW we have a dreaded red mite that hides and only comes out at night ☹️ that’s impossible to kill…but probably not what you’re facing)
Thankyou 🙂 I’ve attached some pictures which sort of show what I found the next day, I think they may have been mites. I ordered some mite spray and some powder and disinfected the whole prefab coop, I also did the same to my main coop just in case. I have each hen a good check and couldn’t find anything on them which is lucky.
It was really sad but I’m glad the eggs were still viable so I can finish the job she started, just finished day 19 , day 20 tomorrow hoping for some pips 🤞🏻🤞🏻😊

Attachments

• 273BA6EC-E200-48C6-B281-9607AF450A69.png
    273BA6EC-E200-48C6-B281-9607AF450A69.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 6E5E0972-D418-4A8F-8853-B54B8FC2C454.png
    6E5E0972-D418-4A8F-8853-B54B8FC2C454.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 5
  • FB9392D6-4A47-4D8A-BF3D-267B7CB7AC17.png
    FB9392D6-4A47-4D8A-BF3D-267B7CB7AC17.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 6
I’m in shock, my Silkie has been broody for around 15 days now. Her eggs were progressing well, she had her own private brooding area/coop, she came out every day to eat food (corn and starter feed), she also drank plenty of water. She looked absolutely fine when I checked her this morning. A couple hours ago I went out to lock her door and check on her again before the night and found her dead. She was cold and stiff. Does anybody have an idea why has this happened?

I feel so terrible, she was my favourite hen. She had gone broody a few times before but I broke her each time, I thought I’d let her do it this time but really regret it now 😥

Her eggs were cold, I’ve put them in the incubator just in case but I’m guessing they’re gone.
So sorry for your loss… A healthy chicken will not die from being broody. The hormone “rollercoaster” does raise their metabolism, and raise their core temp, to incubate those eggs, and this could cause a heart attack (I’ve seen this in some cases when a hen is sitting on too many eggs-the more eggs, the more heat they will generate-people will often try to slip an extra egg or two in the nest-NOT a good idea)… Chickens notoriously will not show signs of illness. They are very low on the food chain and know that signs of weakness/illness will not end well. As for the eggs, they will probably be fine. Temp deviations will affect the due date though, so don’t give up when that day comes, and no peeps. Do candle them though, if you can.
Good Luck,
+Blessings

So sorry for your loss… A healthy chicken will not die from being broody. The hormone “rollercoaster” does raise their metabolism, and raise their core temp, to incubate those eggs, and this could cause a heart attack (I’ve seen this in some cases when a hen is sitting on too many eggs-the more eggs, the more heat they will generate-people will often try to slip an extra egg or two in the nest-NOT a good idea)… Chickens notoriously will not show signs of illness. They are very low on the food chain and know that signs of weakness/illness will not end well. As for the eggs, they will probably be fine. Temp deviations will affect the due date though, so don’t give up when that day comes, and no peeps. Do candle them though, if you can.
Good Luck,
+Blessings
Thankyou for your advice, we estimate the eggs had no heat for a max of 10 hours, would this delay it by a day or so? I’m reaching the end of day 21 with no pips, just 1 egg that is rocking.
I’m now worried that I should’ve locked them down later due to the disruption earlier on, the humidity was comfortably around 68% on day 19 when I locked them down but is now gone down to around 61%.

Any news on the chicks?????
Sadly none of them made it🙁 I candled each one and saw no movement, when I opened them 3 were very well developed and the other 2 were embryos. The yolk sack hadn’t been absorbed on 2/3 the developed ones. They were only rocking around yestetday in the eggs so must have died recently, I have no idea what’s gone wrong or why they have died so I took a picture of them but not sure whether it’s appropriate to share or if some people might find it gross/be offended.
Really sad outcome as I wanted them to hatch so I had something left of my Silkie. I have a whole brooder set up as well with a new heat plate I bought 🙁
Thankyou for all the advice everybody in this thread gave me along the way 🙏🏻

Sadly none of them made it🙁 I candled each one and saw no movement, when I opened them 3 were very well developed and the other 2 were embryos. The yolk sack hadn’t been absorbed on 2/3 the developed ones. They were only rocking around yestetday in the eggs so must have died recently, I have no idea what’s gone wrong or why they have died so I took a picture of them but not sure whether it’s appropriate to share or if some people might find it gross/be offended.
Really sad outcome as I wanted them to hatch so I had something left of my Silkie. I have a whole brooder set up as well with a new heat plate I bought 🙁
Thankyou for all the advice everybody in this thread gave me along the way 🙏🏻
Awwww...I am so very sorry...

Back
Top Bottom