Can a Hen get off feed before first egg

Kay-SCL

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2020
Florida
I went out this am and all the chickens came running like always, except one hen. I of course freaked out (I have hawks which I lost 3 babies too, another story for later). I am so worried, my Hen who is definitely showing all the signs I have read about is acting very lethargic and did not come out to eat her morning snack with the other chickens (which trust me is not normal). She is under the bushes where they hang out (free range), not in the coop. I have had the worry that this is where they will lay, because this is where they are most of the time during the day (hawk protection and cool) She won’t be alone there, except when others are eating away from there.
I am praying that this might be normal and she is not getting sick from something. She looks like her normal self, healthy.
Am I just being a worried mom or has anyone else had this issue or seen or noticed?
Please someone help me calm down, because I am freaking out :eek:(

I went out this am and all the chickens came running like always, except one hen. I of course freaked out (I have hawks which I lost 3 babies too, another story for later). I am so worried, my Hen who is definitely showing all the signs I have read about is acting very lethargic and did not come out to eat her morning snack with the other chickens (which trust me is not normal). She is under the bushes where they hang out (free range), not in the coop. I have had the worry that this is where they will lay, because this is where they are most of the time during the day (hawk protection and cool) She won’t be alone there, except when others are eating away from there.
I am praying that this might be normal and she is not getting sick from something. She looks like her normal self, healthy.
Am I just being a worried mom or has anyone else had this issue or seen or noticed?
Please someone help me calm down, because I am freaking out :eek:(
Pick her up and put her in the coop where you want her to lay and observe. If she goes looking for a nesting box or does she remain ill looking?

Ok done. The other chickens are freaking out especially the rooster, his favorite hen. All the other ones are trying to get in the coop. This won’t stress her out?

my Hen who is definitely showing all the signs I have read about is acting very lethargic and did not come out to eat her morning snack with the other chickens (which trust me is not normal). She is under the bushes where they hang out (free range), not in the coop. I have had the worry that this is where they will lay,
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

If your hen is not acting normal then something IS wrong.. and it isn't laying behavior which you describe.

She won't lay her eggs where her crew hangs out all day.. I always worry about this too.. and in 10+ years of keeping chickens it hasn't happened YET. They go where they can be alone when they are ready to lay.

She is showing all the signs you read about what??

What is fed on regular basis including treats and supplements? Is she able to stand on her own?

I would have left her under the tree, myself.. where she was safe and comfortable.. but ultimately.. you will want to check her crop and see if it's squishy. hard. full. empty.. and monitor intake and output.. Check the crop int he morning again before access to food or water to make sure it's emptying over night.. What do droppings look like, are there any?

With chickens you almost cannot be an over worried mum.. because as prey animals they will do everything they can to hide ANY difference or discomfort and not become a target of predation or pecking order antic as other flock member may try to eliminate the competition and definitely try to elevate their own personal standing. So if you THINK you see something "off" you are probably right and things go down hill quickly for chickens.. so better safe than sorry!

https://the-chicken-chick.com/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour/

Where did she come from? Is she vaccinated against Marek's?

:fl

and monitor intake and output.. Check the crop int he morning again before access to food or water to make sure it's emptying over night.. What do droppings look like, are there any?
Yep, I use a crate for this.

I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Ok, so freaking out even more...but
Crop is fine, no bugs, no loss of feathers, she is beautiful as always. Yes she can walk just fine. I feed them regular chicken food (not layer) I guess grower? At will and of course always bunches of water with ice and apple cider and garlic (just a little, never knew how much to give them). I give them 80% feed and 20% mealworms, sunflower seeds, little bit of oats, garlic powder for their mid morning sit out with them snack. Late afternoon snack is usually some kind of fruit last night pumpkin and tonight watermelon, (they will NOT eat their veggies lol she is drinking water, was out with the other chickens in the yard, she was pecking don’t know if actually eating, but did not have her treat, again she is usually the first.
Got her from a private breeder down the road who won’t even let you in her yard/coop to keep anything out of the area.
As far as shots, they haven’t had them. When I was on my farm and had at least 50 at any given time, I never gave them shots.
As far as the symptoms I was telling you about, I read that, squatting (she is getting it from my rooster). Bright red wattles, pelvic bone spreading.
I tried the isolation, but she was so stressed, I figured that was worse for her.
I guess I am probably worrying about nothing, will keep a really close eye out for more changes.
Thanks guys for your input.

I tried the isolation, but she was so stressed,
How and when and where did you isolate her?
I put them in the crate after dark at night, with no feed or water, and check the crop.
Then in the morning feel the crop again and check the poops and give feed and water.

I feed them regular chicken food (not layer) I guess grower? At will and of course always bunches of water with ice and apple cider and garlic (just a little, never knew how much to give them). I give them 80% feed and 20% mealworms, sunflower seeds, little bit of oats, garlic powder for their mid morning sit out with them snack.
What is the protein and calcium percentages of the feed?
They should be on a tag sewn into bottom of bag.
Cut out the garlic and ACV...and all that other stuff.
Just provide a good chicken ration available all day long and fresh plain water.

If they are suffering from the heat(panting, wings lifted, lethargy)try these:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-hot-weather-spiel.75893/

As far as the symptoms I was telling you about, I read that, squatting (she is getting it from my rooster). Bright red wattles, pelvic bone spreading.
So symptoms of coming into lay soon? That's nothing to worry about and those symptoms can happen a whole month before laying actually starts.

I give them 80% feed and 20% mealworms, sunflower seeds, little bit of oats, garlic powder for their mid morning sit out with them snack.
Meal worms are high in fat, as are sunflower seeds. Treats should be kept to less than 10% of total daily intake..

Leave the veggies long enough without the other stuff.. they'll eat them. They're just eating the tastiest stuff first and training you. ;)
I agree the garlic powder and other stuff needs to end.

Back
Top Bottom