Can A Hen Learn A Lesson?

AZMountainMama

Chirping
May 22, 2022
Put a hen in time-out about two weeks a ago. Here's the back story:
These 12 hens are about 16 months old. Bought them 2 months from some folks that were moving. (I think the majority are Easter Eggers.) These chickens were kept their whole lives in a chicken tractor. These were really beat up & skinny when I got them.

One day we found an egg in the nesting box that was eaten. Two days later... another one! Yikes! Got on BYC to figure out what to do.

Next day I posted myself at the coop to watch for schnanigans.
What I saw freaked me out!
I saw the dominant hen picking feathers out of a nesting hen while another hen spread her wings out wide and tried to cover her nesting friend from the bad girl!. Being new to chickens it horrified me! I caught the offender and put her in solitary for 3 days. No eaten eggs! I had not made a super secure enclosure, so when a storm came she escaped back into the run. I watched carefully for any more bad behavior and have seen none. Everyone is growing feathers out nicely & they are looking good & their eggs get more lovely by the week.

Did this hen actually learn a lesson? I don't know, but I am so happy with the results of a few days in the clinker! Your thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom