Can a Jake just do "overnights" ....

erthymom2

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
Here's one of those off-the-wall questions from me:

Do i need to have a Jake/male with my hen/female all the time in the fall for fertilized eggs to result?
Can I just borrow one for a while and give him back?
Can he stay overnight, or does he have to be "involved" with the hen constantly for fertilized eggs to result?
Before I buy a young Jake someone is offering me, i'd like to get
more info. on it - thanks.

Last edited:
No he does not need to be there all the time, but might want to have him there for a few days to be sure. How many clutches are you wanting ?? Are you letting the hen hatch out ?? If she is hatching them out then a few days and you are good till the fall. and he would need to be with her during early spring not fall.

On turkey mating it's hens choice, turkeys don't mate like chickens do where the roo "forces the mating" so to speak. When the hen is ready she will lay down for the tom so an overnight probably wouldn't work. turkeys tend to be territorial so there would at least a few days settle in time. Plus there is worry of introducing an unknown bird into your flock, you have no idea if the new comer has any sickness that could infect your birds.

Steve in NC

Last edited:
She's got to "like" the tom. LOL My BBC still doesn't like our tom all the time. My royal palm hen loves the tom bc she is always laying down. She'll lay down in front of us as well. LOL She's not a good broody tho...she'll start to set....then just all of a sudden stop and start to lay eggs again.

Back
Top Bottom