Can a male turkey and a rooster be in the same pen together?

cicipitcher7

Chirping
Mar 28, 2022
I have a female and In a few weeks I’m getting a male turkey and I’m just wondering if a male turkey and a rooster will be okay all in the same pen together or should we separate the turkeys? My female has already been with my chickens and rooster and is fine with all of them just curious if it’s gonna be different when I add a male turkey into the mix?

Depends on the birds and if the rooster will run... And how much room you have for them to run and hide.
I have a large poultry yard, about 150ft x 600ft, with lots of trees, brush, grown up fence lines , sheds and coops.
I had a BBB and a cockerel that were best buddies, until they were about 5 months old when I found the BBB on top of his BFF. Cockerel had a broken back and had to put him down.
Got a rooster from a friend and a certain jake and the rooster hated each time. I sperated but seen the rooster get out and went to pick a fight with the jake. Before I could get there the jake had killed the rooster. I had 4 other roosters and a bunch of jakes and toms that got along.

I have a female and In a few weeks I’m getting a male turkey and I’m just wondering if a male turkey and a rooster will be okay all in the same pen together or should we separate the turkeys? My female has already been with my chickens and rooster and is fine with all of them just curious if it’s gonna be different when I add a male turkey into the mix?
@Molpet gave you a great answer.

You won’t really know until you try, so you should be prepared to keep them separate just in case. And, even if the tom and the rooster work out their differences and get along, you might want to keep the turkeys separate from your chickens anyway. With only one female turkey, your tom is not going to be satisfied, and he will turn to your chicken hens. This will kill them, via crushing. They can also get serious wounds on the back of their head if they resist the tom’s advances. Or even if they don’t.

Even if you had a few turkey hens for the tom, eventually they will go broody. And if there are not enough non-broody tirkey hens (which will occur during peak breeding season) then he will breed the chicken hens then too.

Now having said that, I keep my turkeys and chickens together unless and until I see signs of the turkeys (male or female) being aggressive to my chickens. And then the turkeys get locked up. Either permanently or until they get over their snit.

The key to having chickens and turkeys together is lots of room.

As long as you have lots of room, it’s fine. I have a drake in woth my make turkey occasionally and he just understands that tge turkey is bigger and stronger. A rooster should do the same.

As long as you have lots of room, it’s fine. I have a drake in woth my make turkey occasionally and he just understands that tge turkey is bigger and stronger. A rooster should do the same.
Ha ha, you would think a rooster would do the same, but I have had a couple of roosters that would. not. back. down! It took them a whole day long to learn that the tom was bigger and was going to win. They just kept coming back for flogging after flogging.

They weren’t getting seriously hurt and it was their own stupid fault, so I just let it play out, and eventually the rooster gave up and left the tom alone. This happened twice with 2 different roosters when I introduced 2 different adult toms. (After a look-no-touch week of pseudo-quarantine.) This is one reason why I would never try to introduce an adult rooster to a flock that has a resident rooster. Because if it was roosters I would have had to step in. They would not have resolved it on their own.

Back
Top Bottom