Can a Mallard drake breed a larger female?

DuckDolly001

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2016
Hello..so this is my first year raising chickens and ducks on our 4 acres. However, my ducks (that have been raised together) are now 4 months old and I've noticed a little squabbling between my pekin and my mallard.I'm pretty sure these 2 are both males out of my flock of 5. They haven't been really rough with each other yet and only tend to get crabby with each other when I put them in their 8 x 6 coop for the night. Their run is 10 x 15 and all my ducks are happy as can be with each other while in the run. I'm thinking I might want to start separating my pekin drake and mallard drake at night though when I put them in the coop. MY WORRY is over-breeding....I only have 3 females ( 1 Crested, 1 Black Swedish, 1 Cayuga). All 3 of my females are quite a bit bigger than my Mallard drake...Will he be successful if he tries breeding them along with my Pekin? I don't want my females to be over-bred but I have a hard time seeing my Mallard being able to do anything besides "attempt" to breed based on his size and my females' sizes.

He could but it will be a bit harder for him. If they're in the water he should easily be able to breed them. On the ground he might have to try harder but otherwise he should be fine. Could you post a pic of the two you think are male? I'll try and confirm their gender.

Ohhhhhhhhhh yes they can. Just ask my mallard drake. He gets around like none other. His favorite girl was my old Pekin. She was way bigger than him. I suspect he did most of his mating in the water, however.

Back
Top Bottom