Can a person just have male ducks?

As long as there are NO females in the flock or the general vicinity, the males will usually do just fine together. The introduction of females will cause fighting and angst, however, and probably a lot of damage to the female from over-breeding. I think an all-male flock is a great choice for urban gardeners and others who just want them as pets--they won't leave eggs for you to mess with, they're quieter than females, and they're readily available from duck breeders who always have too many males. Good luck and enjoy.

Oh good! Then I don't have a problem giving my two drakes to a lady without ducks
smile.png
wheew.

A friend of mine has three of my drakes. They all went to live with her before they were old enough to be sexually active and from what I hear now- a few months later- they are all still getting alone fine as 3 bachelors.

If I had it to do over I would go with an all male flock. They are just as sweet and lots prettier that the females. At least I think so. I like the eggs but I don't want any to hatch because it will break my heart to have to sell any of the babies.

We were going to keep one, but I decided a harmonious backyard without ANY boys would be best. We will eat and sell our duck eggs
smile.png
Can't wait until they start laying!

Californians will eat anything organic/free range
lol.png
. I see people selling them from $4-5 around here.

I really think unless a person wants the eggs to eat or wants to raise babies, an all male flock would be great. For example, in our case, we're in a public park where people just drop off their unwanted ducks, and we wind up with an over-abundance of drakes. What happens when a new hen arrives on the scene isn't pretty. In the last week, we have had two drakes killed and one little hen drowned. People who walk on the creek and just come to feed the ducks (bread, of course, which is terrible for them) couldn't care less whether they are male or female, and an all drake contingency would allow them to feed them to their heart's content with none of the drama a mixed group poses. This spring, there was a vintage car show across the creek from us, and frenzied mating was going on in the midst of a crowd of hundreds. People were saying, "What are they doing?" while the little hens struggled for their lives.

Back
Top Bottom