can a quail cross with a chicken? or is she pulling a fast one on me?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by spish, Aug 30, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i dont know if this woman is pulling my leg or not, but she seemed pretty darn serious..
    anyhow it goes like this..i ordered some chabos from her (shes a well known chabo breeder round these parts) and shes just dropped them off. but she brought me a freebie with them. she says one of her quails hatched it out about 6 weeks ago, but it sure as heck aint no quail! the only chickens shes keep is seramas, cochin bantams (pekins) and chabos...then in the next aviary are her quails, no other poultry about.....
    and as she only breeds those 4 bird types, she couldnt keep this thing hanging around and thought it could live with my free range chickens...to me it just looks like a beautiful coloured chicken..but shes so sure its a cross between one of her chabos and a quail! (even though it has super long legs, unlike a chabo has short stumpy legs..)

so introducing 'thing'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Looks like an EE pullet to me. But I do not know what chabos look like.

4. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    chabos are just japanese bantams, shor stumpy yellow legs and wings that touch the floor, with a high tail, looks nothing like this chicken she gave me...so...we agree she nearly fooled me!
    oh well, guess i got a free pretty chicken!

5. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    a silver duckwing phoenix

1 person likes this.
  6. GodsFood

GodsFood New Egg

Mar 11, 2013
    Interesting duo dilemma! I have the same issue, in Mobile, Al. Got a brood of mixed chicks off a farm. This particular bird grew twice as fast as all the others then stopped, set about the size of my Japanese Bantam. Laid its first egg today which answer one question, but the major question what the heck is this thing. Looks near Identical to the above bird but has sparkly turquoise blue earlobes or its wattles are out of place. I have searched Guins (chicken/guinea fowl hybrid) and Pheasant/chicken hybrids, I was leaning more towards pheasant cross bantam, with a slight Top-hat.
    You can barely make out the blue lobes but its there.

[​IMG]
    Very similar to yours, did even have the same dark black outer lines on the neck feathers but faded here recently.

7. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    They look like Phoenix chickens!

8. GodsFood

GodsFood New Egg

Mar 11, 2013
    In your response to the main thread; If mine is a Silver duck-wing Phoenix hen, I should be getting some pretty babies off her with my Japanese Bantam she has paired with.

9. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Thats a silkie cross, thats why the top hat, dark skin and turquoise earlobes

10. GodsFood

GodsFood New Egg

Mar 11, 2013
    Silkie mix, that was my wife's first guess.
    But whats the other half?
    Her cluck is more of a shrilling chirp - then followed by a single bock, which is why I started looking at Guin's and Chicken crossed Pheasants.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by