Can a red shouldered hawk kill a mallard duck?

trebkiwi

Chirping
May 29, 2019
I'd never think that I'd have to worry about any other predators other than raccoons, however today I saw more than five hawks circling my house. Upon a quick Google search, I found out that they were red shoulders hawks. My ducks didn't seem to care but my ducklings were terrified.
We also have a barred owl or two that come around at night and sometimes I hear them in the day. I only free range my ducks when I'm out in the backyard. And sometimes if they see crows they'll crouch down real low.

Should I be concerned about either of the two birds being able to kill/hurt my ducks?

A red SHOULDERED hawk would not be a threat, but a red TAILED hawk may. Are you sure about your identification?
Almost certain. Sounded like a flock of seagulls and the redtail sounds nothing like it. Good to hear though.

In my experience, vultures fly in circles and in packs...I have never seen hawks flying around together. It's hard to tell hawks from vultures up in the sky.

In my experience, vultures fly in circles and in packs...I have never seen hawks flying around together. It's hard to tell hawks from vultures up in the sky.
I actually had some vultures staking out my roof for a time last year. To my knowledge turkey vultures don't seem to make much sound though, and the calls I heard were exactly like the hawk. The other day I took some pictures of some birds that seemed to alarm my ducks but I heard nothing from them then. I guess I should have taken some today.
20200321_173148.jpg

And you're completely right! The pictures I looked at comparing the two up in the sky looked really similar!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200404-202230.png
    Screenshot_20200404-202230.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20200404-202135.png
    Screenshot_20200404-202135.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
Hawks are solitary animals for the most part, so it's unlikely to see them in a pack especially circling. Update: yep, looks like you all figured it is vultures, I'd agree.

Redtail Hawks will decimate a chicken, duck, etc. They're avid and accomplished hunters. Raccoons will only get your chickens if you don;t seal them up right- if you free-range, even with a fence, a hawk can take out a chicken in an instant. They're also terribly wasteful usually only eating the head and neck.

We have a LOT of vultures in Southern Indiana...trees filled with them...but not on house tops! :) Great picture!
I guess I should be thankful that I haven't encountered across a tree full of them! I nearly had a heart attack seeing that one big guy. But thank you for your replies! I'll keep more of an eye out for whatever it is flying around.

I guess I should be thankful that I haven't encountered across a tree full of them! I nearly had a heart attack seeing that one big guy. But thank you for your replies! I'll keep more of an eye out for whatever it is flying around.

Vultures are good. They're carrion birds they clean up all the unsightly stuff on the side of the road. They will almost never kill a live animal, it's just not what they do when there's 80lbs of deer meat around the corner...

Hawks are solitary animals for the most part, so it's unlikely to see them in a pack especially circling. Update: yep, looks like you all figured it is vultures, I'd agree.

Redtail Hawks will decimate a chicken, duck, etc. They're avid and accomplished hunters. Raccoons will only get your chickens if you don;t seal them up right- if you free-range, even with a fence, a hawk can take out a chicken in an instant. They're also terribly wasteful usually only eating the head and neck.
I didn't think these guys were so noisy though! I hope I don't have to be concerned of a vulture snatching my ducks up.
I've made my coop pretty predator proof from the fat raccoons that my neighbors like to feed, so at least they're nice and safe at night. Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom