Can a Roo be sterile?

Col1948

Songster
Sep 9, 2018
Manchester UK
I don't have a roo before anyone asks but I keep reading threads and posts about having to re-home or cull them which is a shame.
Something crossed my mind while reading the threads about roosters, can you get one that is sterile?
If so I then thought will it crow, or is that not connected to it being a man so to speak?

I then thought, though I am probably miles out, but if being sterile makes it not crow that could be the answer to keeping them, rather than fitting one of those collars which I don't like the sound of pardon the pun.

And they will still crow,,,

Capons don't crow. We are talking about two different things when we talk about caponizing a rooster and a rooster being sterile. A capon for most practical purposes is little different from a broiler-fryer chicken. Capons only have eyes for the feed trough and not for the girls. Fat, out of shape, and roosters with injured or frozen combs are all likely to prove sterile. This is true for as long as their infirmity lasts.

I did a search and in the UK it seems some think they are illegal but others say they are not, this is meat birds for sale in butchers etc.
As for buying a live capon it seems they are rare, the practice of hormonal treatment is supposed to be illegal but the castration isn't but they say not many know how to do it so that makes buying a live one rare.
Also warned that buying a live capon may not be a real one it may just be a big bird.

So even if a capon was in the flock, from what I understand it will be just another hen and not be a protector, am I right?

Back
Top Bottom