Can a single banty live with regular sized chickens?

Short answer is yes.

Long answer is it depends on your standards and how nasty they are and how much space they all have.

You need to research the breeds. If the banty is a sebright, then he/she could probably whip any standard breed booty. If he/she is a D'uccle, you'd better do some research for a gentle breed.

Thanks guys.

I don't plan on having roos ...

I saw on craigslist someone has a banty that is getting picked on, and wants someone to adopt it.

I was thinking to get it, but we will soon have 2 RIR's.

I wouldn't want the little thing to come here and get picked on some more!

smile.png

My little D'uccle is the youngest of my chickens and runs off the bigger birds, lol.` She is spunky, for sure. I keep 2 Isa Brown, 1 EE, 2 cochin bantams and the little D'uccle... They do fine.

Quote:
I picked up one of my silkies from craigslist because she was being beaten up on so badly by 2 RIR. She was just too docile for them. I would suggest just going and doing that to keep your little banty company. Couldn't hurt.

sounds like your banty find will be older than the standards coming in. If that's the case, the banty should be fine 'cause the RIR chicks will be babies in training under the banty.

I have a Japanese bantam that was raised with 10 standard buckeyes and a RIR bantam. I went and bought two more Japanese bantams for her 'cause she's so small in comparison to the others. She turns up her beak at her "cousins" and hangs with the big girls.

I have a bantam roo in with 3 white leghorn hens, 2 black sexlinks hens, 5 golden buff hens and 2 other bantam hens. He think he is the man!!!!

He gets the little roo dance going around all the hens. The big girls just look at him like he is stupid. The 2 small hens are his girls. He roosts with the bantam hens. The others roost by themselves. He is protective of all of the hens. He looks so funny in with the big girls.

The golden buffs roost together. The black sexlinks roost together. The white leghorn roost together. The bantams roost together. Why do they rost seperately by breed?

Maybe I should start another thread instead of hyjacking this one.

Darin

Back
Top Bottom