can a widowed cock hatch an egg by himself?

cochinGurl

Songster
9 Years
May 11, 2010
bellingham
I had a pair of homers incubating an egg for a little over a week. (by some weird fluke the hen only laid one egg) i candled it and it was developing. the mom was taken by a hawk yesterday, and so far dad is staying on the nest, including over night. is there any chance he might be able to hatch and raise the chick by him self? has any one had experience with this? thanks.

I have had cocks who raised squabs by themselves after losing their mates, and I have had cocks who gave up. If he has been an especially good father in the past, chances of him hatching and raising the squab are higher. Good luck.

I honestly think it is anybody's call.
If the egg was hatched I would say yes.
Especially if he has raised a clutch before.
Where it is not hatched I would say NO (unless it is on the verge of hatching).
Keep us posted I am interested in the outcome.

I had a ♀ pigeon who raised a squab on her own when her mate took up with another ♀.
I had to isolate the hen and her squab because the ♂ tried to kill the baby.

Last edited:
I agree with Hokum Coco that if the squab were already hatched he would continue to raise it. A week old egg is iffy especially if some hen catches his eye.

well he stuck in there for two nights, but has given up now. thanks everyone for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it :)

Sorry about this. The saying goes, "Never fly pigeons that you can not afford to lose". Because of the OUT OF CONTROL hawk population I no longer fly my breeders.

Back
Top Bottom