can adult chickens be vaccinated for marek's?

We need to use vaccines thoughtfully.

Vaccines are effective and can wipe out diseases.Polio is a human disease that has been almost wiped out world wide; with a few rare pockets of people that do manifest it (they are not vaccinated and get it from a wild primate). Our risk of getting the disease is almost nil because EVERYONE is vaccinated. Whooping cough also almost wiped out until a few parents decided not to have their children get vaccinated and now it's back. And some children have died. This is sad and avoidable. State of Massachusets has mandatory vaccinations for children and they are free. These are the basic ones; not the kind needed when traveling abroad.

My horses get vaccinated for the diseases they are more likely to encounter; they do NOT get all equine vaccines because NOT every disease is a problem in my area. They do get many others, especially the babies.

Mereck's is out there; maybe it hasn't made it to your flock because other flocks around you are vaccinated. I just seems to me (reading BYC) that the majority of birds do die of this. Mereck is fairly cheap; Some of the horse vaccines are $20 per dose. Merecks is cheap, very cheap per dose. I know it's harder when you only have a few, but still $3-4 dollars per bird to vaccinate???? Isn't that less expensive that the cost of feeding the chickens and it's a one time vaccine.Vaccines work well.

There is another thread, sorry don't remember where, that give specific info on how to divide the Merecks vaccine up for multi-doses.

Most vaccines work no matter the age of the animal; if we put the chicks out at 5 weeks to be exposed to the soil to become immune to coccidia, why wouldn't the chick also be able to be vaccinated for Merecks at that age too??? My feed store is too lazy to check whether or not the birds they sell have been vaccinated for this, so I have many small batches that I plan to do to be sure. And I'd like to hatch a few myself and will vaccinate.

Great thread, nice to hear everyones experiences.

If you have ever gone through the horror and heart break of watching your birds die one by one you will always vaccinate when ever possible. We lost all but one of our beloved Buckeyes last summer despite have a very clean, well kept coop and run for them. We don't know where it came from, we hadn't brought in any birds in over a year. It took out an older Kentucky speck roo then hit the buckeyes. We gave each affected bird a chance to recover, nursing them by hand sometimes for a few days, some times for weeks, but each one of them finally reached a point where they had to be euthanized.

Any chick we buy form a hatchery is vaccinated and we are trying to figure out how to vaccinate our home hatched birds.

It's super easy to vaccinate your own birds!!! I buy the vax, syringes and alcohol pads from Jeffers.com Tha vax is administered sub Q (under the skin) in the back of the neck or intramuscualr in the thigh. I usualy have someone help hold for safety of the chick, even at a day old. Go for it!!!

Quote:

That sounds easy.

But our feed store sells the vaccine for $16. It has a lot of doses. However, the instructions say that once opened, the vaccine has to be given within one hour, AND in the first hour of the chicks life. My chicks can hatch 24-36 hours apart. Buying new vaccine for every hour is too expensive.

Is this true? or can I use the vaccine after the hour? (For both chick and opening the medicine?)

Once the vax is mixed you do have to stick to the 1 hour rule; that's why a clever person here on BYC has written up very lengthy instructions how to break up a "dose" into 4 portions. We need a vet or other informed person to clarity the age when administered. While the instructions say day one, other vax can be given at older ages. So why not this one also??? Would like to verify the logic.

I just lost a 1 year old Easter Egger hen to Mareks a few weeks ago. She was from Belt Hatchery, and was indeed vaccinated. She had come to point of lay at 11 months-12 months old, and that's when the Mareks hit her. I had her body necropsied at UC Davis and the results came back as such. So the vaccination is in NO MEANS bombproof. She was vaccinated, but still got it. UC Davis advised that Mareks and Cocci are very common in this area, and Northern CA in general, many chickens are carriers of Mareks and the owners are not aware. My other girls are also vaccinated, but I am watching them closely, they are all laying already so hopefully immunity is built up strong. They range in age from 9 months to about 13 months old.

Quote:
If I recall right, the vaccine for chickens is often made from the Marek's strain that affects turkeys. It is harmless to chickens but triggers the immune system to build up antibodies that fight the strain of Marek's that affects chickens.

Quote:
Vaccinating is NOT "babying," it's exactly what you want to do to help the bird build a strong immune system. The vaccine stimulates the immune system so it is armed and prepared to fight invading pathogens like Marek's.

It's the overuse of antibiotics and other cures that can be harmful if overused or improperly used. If the animal is underdosed, then only the weakest disease organisms are killed, and the stronger ones survive to reproduce -- and the offspring will also be more resistant to the drug. If you use drugs to treat an existing disease, you have to make sure to give the animal enough, and for long enough, to wipe out all of the disease organisms to none reproduce.

By contrast, vaccination doesn't kill the pathogen itself, it makes the animal's natural disease fighting mechanisms stronger so it can ward off infection in the first place.

ok, I didn't read all responses.

I have a flock that is going on 4 years old, none vaccinated, all hatched here from hatching eggs from various sources. I bought chicks from a highly reputable source this year. The chicks were quarantined for almost 6 weeks. Then they were exposed to another brooder, of UNVACCINATED birds. A very valuable brooder. I lost at least 5 of the unvaccinated birds and know I am going to lose more.

The new birds BROUGHT Mareks with them, now I may lose ALL my birds, if I had vaccinated my losses could have been minimized.

this wasn't a debate on whether to vaccinate or not, the original poster asked about vaccinating adult birds. Giving your opinion on whether people should vaccinate or not is not for this thread...and if you NEVER lost a bird to Mareks I really dont feel you are qualified to answer IMHO.

to the OP-If you suspect they were exposed then you can vaccinate but don't expect miracles, I vaccinated and will re-vaccinate 10 days after original administration as I was told to. Guess it's more of a "hail-mary" to win the game...if only a little bit. I will post back after with results if I manage to save any.

again, sorry I didn't read the whole thread, but to the OP...are you afraid of future exposure, think they may have been exposed, etc? feel free to pm me and I can tell you what I have learned.....the absolute hard way
somad.gif

eta- for those of you that want to buy the vaccine you can get it here http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom