1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can an Ayam Cemani have a white tongue and still be worth alot of $$$?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by thechxwhisperer, Jul 16, 2015.

1. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    You could sell them as just black birds and not Ayam Cemani. It is certainly true, you don't want to dilute the breed with poor genetics.

2. BakerzDozen

BakerzDozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2015
    Central, New York (Rome)
    They'd be somewhat black birds.

3. thechxwhisperer

thechxwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    Florida
    I was going to try to improve the breed, but I just wanted to make sure that it was a good idea[​IMG]

4. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    The Ayam Cemani would probably be the most difficult possible option to start breeding, especially with little experience.
    Start with a more common breed to tinker and learn with.

1 person likes this.
  5. Sydney Acres

Sydney Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    Western WA

6. GitaBooks

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Don't let anyone stop you. If you love the breed and try your best, you could become the most famous Ayam Cemani breeder out there! Don't ever let people tell you your dreams are impossible, because they aren't. I even named one of my chicks Possibility, because all things are possible. If you love it, you can do it. [​IMG]

7. torilovessmiles

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    Except for the fact that you must learn chicken genetics and the breed will not improve unless someone understands what leads to perfection. You can't go willy-nilly with a critically endangered breed, especially if your breeding stock is a cull chick! The fibromelanistic gene is extremely recessive. ANY bird that is not wholly black will not produce improved offspring. Breeding is a LOT more complicated than setting your mind to it and enjoying it. It's not about "trying your best."
    Ayam Cemani's are different from other breeds in the fact that they are very difficult to get proper traits, and they are extremely rare and the gene pool need not be polluted by experimentation and poor breeding. If we were talking about silkies, Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orpingtons or any of the breeds that pretty much everyone has, it would be different.

1 person likes this.
  8. GitaBooks

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    I agree with you that it is a lot of work and research and practice (it is wise to start with an easier breed), but I still think they can do it. [​IMG] There is reality, but sometimes you need dreamers to do amazing things.

9. torilovessmiles

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    But it also takes a lot more than dreams. It takes hard work and studying. The chick in question cannot be part of that dream.
    It is not just wise to start with an easier breed, it is absolutely necessary. That would be like taking a child from peewee football and putting him in the NFL. No matter your dreams, you have to put your blood, sweat, and tears into them. And that means starting easy, learning, and graduating to the harder stuff as you learn.

10. Sydney Acres

Sydney Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    Western WA
    True, true, true, BUT.... the way you phrased the initial question didn't give most of us (ok, I shouldn't say that, despite many of the previous posts)... didn't give me the impression that your mindset was in the right place to become a successful Ayam Cemani breeder. It gave me the impression that you acquired a rare bird with an obvious fault, a bird that a good breeder had the judgement to cull, and you are wondering if you lucked into a fortune. That mindset, unfortunately, is the path to the avian equivalent of a puppy mill, foisting poor quality "purebreds" off on an unsuspecting public, thinking only of the money you can make, not of the need to develop a bird to the breed standard.

Now, if you had asked if an Ayam Cemani hen with a white tongue had the potential to be the foundation bird of your flock, knowing that it will take years of selection, culling, hard lessons learned, reaching out to mentors, endless record keeping, and lots of financial investment without immediate return before you can even develop the judgement to become a good breeder of excellent stock, worthy of being "worth a lot of $$$," then I'd be the most encouraging person you ever met, right up there with GitaBooks. But that's not the question you asked, so that's not the response you got from me. If I misinterpreted your intent, then my apologies, as I can only respond to what you have written, not what you may have intended to communicate.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by