Can an Easter egger change egg color after molting

Akennedy

Songster
Jun 1, 2020
I know this has been asked before. But I am very confused. I have an Easter egger who has laid light cream colored eggs for the past 8 months. She’s been molting for a while. Now I also have an olive egger who’s eggs are consistently the same olive color. I went out today and this egg is noticably BLUE. Everyone else lays brown or white eggs. So who laid the blue egg!?!?!?

Attachments

• 832CC3CD-5BB1-4CB6-9266-FA6DB6436D12.jpeg
    832CC3CD-5BB1-4CB6-9266-FA6DB6436D12.jpeg
    267.4 KB · Views: 49
Hens can change shades of colors. But they can switch from one color to another. So brown to light brown is possible, but not white to dark brown.
Shade changing makes sense, I still haven’t had that happen but it is interesting.
This is why I was thinking there could be another EE undercover since blue and green would be considered different shades... is that correct thinking?

I haven’t had any of my Easter Eggers change egg colors. Any chance you have another EE in the flock?
Hens can change shades of colors. But they can’t** switch from one color to another. So brown to light brown is possible, but not white to dark brown.

Edited for the typo. They CAN’T switch from one color to the next.

Last edited:
Shade changing makes sense, I still haven’t had that happen but it is interesting.
This is why I was thinking there could be another EE undercover since blue and green would be considered different shades... is that correct thinking?
Yeah a green egg layer can lay blueish eggs. With my olive eggers I’m getting eggs more on the dark side, but I’m sure by fall they’ll be lighter and even close to blue, but I just call it light green.

I was going to ask the same question. After a brutal fall molt all six of our girls are laying again. However, both of my Americanas, which prior to the molt, laid light blue eggs. Now, after the molt and months later, they're laying pinkish/beige eggs. I isolated my Americanas to make sure....they're both laying pinkish/beige eggs. It happens, I just would love to know why:woot

Back
Top Bottom