Can an imprinted duckling live outdoors?

pippi100

Hatching
Jan 25, 2018
We hatched a duckling two days ago. We had two eggs almost ready to hatch, but unfortunately the other one didn't make it, leaving us only one. The lone duckling, Pippi, seems to have imprinted on us already. We were planning to transfer two ducklings outdoors after a few weeks, but can a single duckling, with already strong imprint, be kept outdoors? I am hoping to introduce Pippi to a flock at nearby school once it is old enough. Please advice on choices that I may have. Thanks!

We hatched a duckling two days ago. We had two eggs almost ready to hatch, but unfortunately the other one didn't make it, leaving us only one. The lone duckling, Pippi, seems to have imprinted on us already. We were planning to transfer two ducklings outdoors after a few weeks, but can a single duckling, with already strong imprint, be kept outdoors? I am hoping to introduce Pippi to a flock at nearby school once it is old enough. Please advice on choices that I may have. Thanks!
They need companionship. It will stress it out and make it depressed if not. Either get it some friends and fast or keep it as a house pet. Don’t introduce it to another flock. It will not survive if not properly introduced and the others will literally kill it. Ducks can make incredibley affectionate pets and there are even diapers you can get for it.

Thanks for your advice. It looks like we have to give away our duckling to someone who has some ducklings of her age. How long can we wait to give away before it becomes problem with her joining the other ducklings?

Thanks for your advice. It looks like we have to give away our duckling to someone who has some ducklings of her age. How long can we wait to give away before it becomes problem with her joining the other ducklings?
It will always be a problem but as long as the person you give it to knows how to properly integrate then it shouldn’t be problem. Its harder to integrate when they’re older

It won't be a problem at all, just do it soon so the Duckling has a friend..They get depressed alone..

Back
Top Bottom