Can an old foot injury make your chicken more prone to frost bite? (Photos)

Good Morning Everybody. Here is Roger this morning with a 95 degree plus day with 100% humidity on it's way. His water is iced down to deal with the heat. What a difference in seasons and care there is for him. Here's a follow up on his toes.

I would say that it was Mid June or end of June before any signs of scab or open-ness finally disappeared. The bone of his toe is completely covered with his yellow toe skin and not exposed thankfully. You can see that it is more bulbous and larger around. He jumps, walks, scratches all day with it. He's doing good and taking care of his girls.

Biggest Lesson or Preventative Measure for this case: LOWER THE ROOSTS. These were new injuries that did not have a chance in cold temps. Thanks to all who have offered comment/suggestion and support. It was a long winter with "Big Tootsie" but we got through it and learned a bunch and hope we can give somebody an idea of what to expect in their own situation like this.

I know this is an old thread and you said it was frostbite. My chicken has a toe that looks like this and I'm not sure what to do. It is 90+ degrees and humid here so I know it's not frostbite. Here is a picture do you know what I should do?

I'm not to sure, I just found it yesterday. My husband wants to take the wait and see approach but of course she is my favorite so I want to bring her to the vet.

Back
Top Bottom