Can antifungal medication used on chickens create more resistant fungi?

JulieHei

Chirping
Sep 9, 2020
More often in the news, you can hear about apparently healthy people dying from fungal infections because the fungus is resistant to all the medication. Resistance is created by excessive, unnecessary or incorrect dosing of medication. When you give your chichens medicines such as monistat or canesten, doesn't this help to create more resistance in the fungus? Is there any egg withdrawal time after a treatment with e.g. monistat or canesten? I think the development is frightening. It would have been interesting to read research on this, and hear other people's opinions.

I don’t think there is any egg withdrawal for most of the common antifungals used in chickens, such as Nystatin, miconazole, or Medistatin. Most of those are used to treat fungal overgrowth in sour crop, vent gleet due to yeast, or the use of antibiotics in the past. I suppose any medication, wormer, or whatever may eventually build up a tolerance to one medication. Or an organism may build up resistance to a medication. I probably would not use fluconazole when something like Nystatin or miconazole would work. It is probably good to use caution when giving any medication. We have seen how the over prescribing of antibiotics have created resistant strains of bacteria that common antibiotics once could treat.

Last edited:
Good article above. C Diff is a huge problem in people who are chronically ill, and people who have frequently taken antibiotics. It is very difficult to treat. I have know of several people who have had it, and it is a growing problem. Most people get it while hospitalized, and it can be resistant to most antibiotics.

People with chickens want to help their sick birds, but need to realize that they need to not use antibiotics or antifungals as a bandaid. One needs to really know what they are treating before throwing medications at them.

Back
Top Bottom