Can any of these breeds be sexed at 'day old'?

venetta

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 1, 2014
Perth, Western Australia
We acquired 7x 'day old' chicks today and was just wondering if anyone knows whether we'd be able to sex at this age by colour/look etc.

We have a barred rock (I have looked this one up but am still confused about what I may have.. Worried it is a boy :(

We also have a gold laced wyandotte, a silver laced wyandotte, a splash wyandotte, a new hampshire/frizzle mix, a cochin and a splash australorp.

I will post some better pics tomorrow morning (it's a bit late now). But here is just one pic that I did get today.

I do not know about all of the breeds you mentioned, but most Wyandottes and Australorps cannot be sexed as day old chicks. Pretty darned sure you can't do it with Cochins, either. However, it may depend on the colors you have. Silver laced Wyandottes can be used to MAKE sex-linked chicks, but cannot be sexed by color themselves, for example.

New Hampshire Red roos are commonly used with silver-based hens to generate some color sex-linked chicks, but mixed with a Frizzle, I have no guess.

Wish I could be of more help.

Check this link for tons of information: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

There are basically four types of chickens that can be sexed on Day One:

(1) Sex-linked "breeds" like Red Star, Black Star, etc., which are specific hybrids between roos of one breed/color and hens of one or more different breeds/colors.
(2) Autosomal sexing breeds like Cream Legbars and Rhodebars.
(3) Fast-feathering breeds, which are mostly broiler/meat breeds.
(4) Some like Welsummers, where there is definite coloration/marking difference (but they haven't tracked it down to a specific gene yet).

I personally have Wyandottes and Australorps.

Your barred Rock looks female to me. Tight, defined head spot and dark legs bode well for eggs in your future
smile.png

The other breeds are too early to tell, sorry. Post again around 6 weeks and we should have a good idea.

Bit sad, but 4/7 of these babies were roos!
All of the wyandottes and the australorp!

Our Barred Rock is definitely a girl, going by her colouring, and the cochin and and new hampshire/frizzle are looking like girlies too.
Will have to update with some photos :)

Honestly, having raised BRs for years, I wouldn't be too sure of it being a pullet just yet. That head spot is not all that defined, sort of "frosty" down the back and sides and there isn't much dark on the legs. My cockerels usually have at least that much wash on them, with pullets darker than that. It's not certain on that one yet. Could go either way.

For instance, this was a cockerel with small head spot and some dark on the leg fronts. Sexing is not always 100% accurate even though it is usually easier with BRs than other breeds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom