can any "production red" experts tell me if this is a little roo?

You may get a sexlink with this cross though. If the BLRW has the red gene which I think it does than you would get some type of sexlink crossing it with a barred rock.
Quote:
Actually it's the opposite.
wink.png

Quote:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

so according to this chart, if i have a blue laced red wyandotte roo crossed with barred rock, if its a female she will feather out slower than a male? Im sorry this is so confusing to me im trying to wrap my brain around it.

a sex link? interesting, i only have one egg in lockdown from this match up so will be interesting to see what pops out!
smile.png

Quote:

Yes, you would. The color of the rooster doesn't matter, as long as he's not barred. When you cross him over your barred hen you will get black Sexlinks. It's on that sex link info thread under "Black Sex-Linked."
smile.png

I would be curious to see what an adult or chick looks like, my guess is the chick will be black with a white spot on its head or solid black. Not sure on an adult. Le us know.
smile.png

Quote:

The rooster in a Black Sexlink cross does NOT have to have the gold gene to make black sexlinks, that is only for Red Sexlinks, any color roo can be used for black sexlinks as long as he's NOT barred and NOT carrying dominant white. So if you breed a BLR roo with a Barred rock hen, since he isn't barred or dom white, you will get sexlinks, but some of them will be blue and that may complicate the visibility of the white spot on the males.

And no this same cross wouldn't be feather sexed.
Quote:
Actually it's the opposite.
wink.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

so according to this chart, if i have a blue laced red wyandotte roo crossed with barred rock, if its a female she will feather out slower than a male? Im sorry this is so confusing to me im trying to wrap my brain around it.

gosh i just love chicken smart ppl, thanks!
smile.png
i will go look up that thread
smile.png

Quote:

Yes, you would. The color of the rooster doesn't matter, as long as he's not barred. When you cross him over your barred hen you will get black Sexlinks. It's on that sex link info thread under "Black Sex-Linked."
smile.png

Also guys, on this feather sexing chart, this is only going to be accurate if the breeds you are using are pure for the gene they should be, like what we were discussing earlier in this thread, many hatcheries are now producing feather sexed chicks of the "pure breeds" which is going to make any of these chicks you buy from these hatcheries, impure for the feathering gene the birds is known to have, that will completely void these chicks from being about to be used in this chart. For example I know the chicks I bought from Privett were feather sexed, and the pullets were rapid feathering, so let's used the Silver laced Wyandottes for example, in the chart, they are listed as a slow feathering breed for the hen side, but since these SLW pullets were produced from a feather sexing cross, the will not be able to be used in a feather sexing cross, in the exact same way that you can't uses color sexed sexlinks in another sexlink cross.

Back
Top Bottom