can any "production red" experts tell me if this is a little roo?

I am not 100% sure on this but in order to feather sex the parents need be a hen with fast feathering gene and a male with slow feathering gene but you get the slow feather gene in the hens to carry on but not the fast feathering in the cocks so mating siblings would not make feather sexing accurate in the offspring second generation and subsequent hatching's. Correct? I think you must use a different cock from another breeding program and then breed them together. In other words you cannot just keep breeding feather sexed birds haphazardly and maintain feather sexing as accurate.

Last edited:
Quote:
Actually it's the opposite.
wink.png

Quote:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Thank you Lothiriel, that is what I was trying to say.
smile.png
smile.png
Feather sexing in subsequent hatchings is unreliable. As I understand it you must go back to the same cross and crossing siblings will not work. As some have suggested.

I did do a cross where so far the cocks have white legs and the hens have green or slate but am still working on that project to see if it holds.

Last edited:
Exactly. It's just like with Sex links. They don't breed true, so a RSL over a RSL will NOT produce RSL offspring. So a feather sexed roo over a feather sexed hen won't produce feather sexable (no, not a word
tongue.png
) offspring.

Quote:
It is a one time cross just like color sex-links.

Most hatcheries have a fast feathering male line and a slow feathering line of a breed.
In the case of a Production Red the fast feathering male line is most likely from crossing to the Leghorn then breeding for faster feathering and to somewhat look like a Rhode Island Red.

More and more hatcheries are feather sexing there birds so in turn more and more hatcheries are selling cross bred fowl.

Chris

Last edited:
They have been doing that for years with the "americana, ameraucana, aracana or how ever they spell it
hmm.png
" I do wonder how they get away with advertising them as a specific breed when they are not. I think leghorns are used quite a bit for upping egg production in many traditional breeds.
Quote:

Most hatcheries have a fast feathering male line and a slow feathering line of a breed.
In the case of a Production Red the fast feathering male line is most likely from crossing to the Leghorn then breeding for faster feathering and to somewhat look like a Rhode Island Red.

More and more hatcheries are feather sexing there birds so in turn more and more hatcheries are selling cross bred fowl.Chris

Last edited:
Quote:

More and more hatcheries are feather sexing there birds so in turn more and more hatcheries are selling cross bred fowl.Chris

I don't know how they get away with it either but it just go's to show how much a hatchery will lie to the customer.

Chris

Quote:

More and more hatcheries are feather sexing there birds so in turn more and more hatcheries are selling cross bred fowl.

Chris

This is true, I believe Cackle and Mt. Healthy are two that still vent sex and subsequenty have better quality (for a hatchery) since they don't have to outcross to get the specific feather genes. I'm pretty sure my Cackle order from a few years ago wasn't feather sexed and last year I ordered the 200 cockerel bargain from Mt. Healthy and they were supposed to be all males but had a variation in feathering rates so either they don't feather sex or I had several pullets in that shipment but I. Didn't keep them long and the few I did keep longer than others all looked like roos. I've also heard from a friend that mt. Healthy didn't switch to feather sexing when a lot of hatcheries did.

Back
Top Bottom