Can anyone explain DE and what I should be using it for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch!
smack.gif
I am sorry that you lost your chickens an had such a bad experience using DE. I personally find that it has worked for me for over 10 years. Maybe there was another reason you were having problems and the fact is that DE is not a cure, but a preventive measure alone.
Best Wishes!
bun.gif

DE is not a preventative nor treatment for worms. That is the deception with DE. It will fail you as a wormer...ask any vet of your choice.

I have to agree with dawg53 on the DE. I have fed it for years to my horses since I was told that it is not only a good way to reduce flies (it winds up in the poop and dries up any eggs that the flies lay on it) but was a good natural wormer. One of my horses got tapeworm. The DE not only did not prevent it from happening but did not cure it either. I had to give her panacur and then equimax. When I mentioned using the DE as a wormer the vet looked at me and asked me why I was doing that. Luckily there doesn't seem to be any permanent damage and I do still use DE as a feed through for the horses and I use it in the coop as well. If you see evidence of worm infestation please use the proper medication to get rid of them. I went through multiple bouts of colic with my horse which was truely scary and they stopped once I gave her the right medicine. DE is effective for many things but not as a wormer IMO.

I believe that most people who use DE use it as a preventative, not an 'after-the-fact' thing. Perhaps it is anecdotal only, but for the first time in many years, my dogs did NOT get fleas this summer, even when playing with an infested puppy one day. I use it for my budgie, as well as ACV in his water, and no mites there, either. (I've had to get Ivermectin twice in the past for mites...not this year, though). I put DE in the pullets' feed, and when I add wood chips I sprinkle some around the coop. It works for me; I did not have a fly problem AT ALL this summer (used the vanilla 'trees, too)
idunno.gif
(fingers crossed, touch wood).

I think people should give it a try. Maybe the area of the world, humidity and weather, etc play a role in its efficacy?

Last edited:
Perhaps it is anecdotal only, but for the first time in many years, my dogs did NOT get fleas this summer, even when playing with an infested puppy one day

Fleas are insects, which is one of the things DE WILL kill.
But if they didn't GET fleas, the DE really couldn't have had any effect, since they have to come in CONTACT with the dust for it to kill them.

To imply the DE REPELLED fleas is a misconception, since it has NO more repellent power than sand, which is also mostly Silica

The problem is all the misinformation about it treating INTERNAL PARASITES, which is all sales hype with NO scientific basis

http://eap.mcgill.ca/agrobio/ab370-04e.htm

McGill University Institute of Parasitology

Some claim that diatomaceous earth acts as a dewormer when added on a regular basis in the amount of 2% of the ration. Scientific tests on the subject are limited however and opinions of farmers are contradictory. Moreover, diatomaceous earth has no effect on lungworm and is not very appetizing. It may also be a lung irritant. Given that the level of dust is already quite high in barns, diatomaceous earth does not seem appropriate when the animals are fed indoors. The main motivation for adding diatomaceous earth to rations should not be to control internal parasites

http://www.sheepandgoat.com/articles/controlgoatparasites.html

Anne Zajac, DVM, PhD
Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine

Currently, there is great interest in "natural" products as an alternative to pharmaceutical company products in controlling parasites. This category includes herbal dewormers and diatomaceous earth. There are no studies that I know of that suggest that these products have any substantial effect on barber pole worm or other internal parasites. In the case of diatomaceous earth there have been several studies done by parasitologists in different parts of the country that have found no beneficial effect to feeding it or offering it as mineral

Last edited:
I only use DE as an insecticide, I still follow a worming program for my dogs, horses and chickens. I also use flea drops on my dogs and horses, (Fly control) I know DE works as an insecticide, as long as it doesn't get wet. I live in an area of NC where the humidity is often high, and droughts are frequent as well. The fluctuations between the two is the reason I put the DE in areas where it is not likely to get wet.
caf.gif
Scientific studies, government or otherwise are sometimes biased, and it is best to look at the studies and make your own choices based on the results. For me, as an insecticide in the house, barn and coop, I have found it to be superb!
D.gif

I must be doing something right, I have one of the oldest dogs (19) in the world! I also have a chicken that is 10 years old and still lays eggs! Try this simple test. Sprinkle some DE around the corners of your garage or out building where insects are a problem and watch the critters fall over dead.
clap.gif
I am a believer. Let me know the results.
Good luck!
Bunny
bun.gif

I also use food grade DE I put 3 cups to 50lbs. of feed mix real good. Also use it in their bedding I use deep litter method it helps keep down smell and also absorbs moisture. when you have ducks and geese and chickens you need all the help you can get.

Quote:
Fleas are insects, which is one of the things DE WILL kill.
But if they didn't GET fleas, the DE really couldn't have had any effect, since they have to come in CONTACT with the dust for it to kill them.

To imply the DE REPELLED fleas is a misconception, since it has NO more repellent power than sand, which is also mostly Silica

The problem is all the misinformation about it treating INTERNAL PARASITES, which is all sales hype with NO scientific basis

http://eap.mcgill.ca/agrobio/ab370-04e.htm

McGill University Institute of Parasitology

Some claim that diatomaceous earth acts as a dewormer when added on a regular basis in the amount of 2% of the ration. Scientific tests on the subject are limited however and opinions of farmers are contradictory. Moreover, diatomaceous earth has no effect on lungworm and is not very appetizing. It may also be a lung irritant. Given that the level of dust is already quite high in barns, diatomaceous earth does not seem appropriate when the animals are fed indoors. The main motivation for adding diatomaceous earth to rations should not be to control internal parasites

http://www.sheepandgoat.com/articles/controlgoatparasites.html

Anne Zajac, DVM, PhD
Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine

Currently, there is great interest in "natural" products as an alternative to pharmaceutical company products in controlling parasites. This category includes herbal dewormers and diatomaceous earth. There are no studies that I know of that suggest that these products have any substantial effect on barber pole worm or other internal parasites. In the case of diatomaceous earth there have been several studies done by parasitologists in different parts of the country that have found no beneficial effect to feeding it or offering it as mineral

Good post and very true..

The other thing I would like to add is that Silica is used primarily in the production of glass. As in windows, drinking glasses, and beverage bottles.

Chris​

Thanks for all the great feedback... I will use it in the coop to keep insect down, if the birds eat a little no biggie...

Appreciate it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom