Can anyone explain what's going on with these eggs please

stacy55

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2015
This is our first time hatching eggs. Our hen was sitting on 7 eggs. 3 has hatched at day 19 and day 21. Now at day 23 this is what the eggs looked like. I never candled these eggs until now. So im not sure what im looking at. Not sure if a chick is in them or not. If so don't think they are alive. I haven't seen my hen sitting on them in two days. Can you help explain what I'm looking at?

This is Egg #1

Last edited:
I'm used to mine being the other way when candled, but you are seeing eggs that appear to be fairly full of chicks and that's the air cell that you're illuminating.
Egg 1 and 4 are not too bad...but eggs 2 and 3 look like the don't have enough air cell development. Or it could just be the way the light is showing things.

I don't see any internal pipping (you'd see movement of the chick's head within the illuminated end) so that makes me think the chicks have likely perished in the shell.
If it was an incubator, it could be a late hatch if the temps were too cool. But since these eggs were hatched by a broody hen, that scenario is unlikely.
Also if other viable chicks have hatched at day 19 and 21, this also indicates that these are likely DIS (dead in shell)

All my broody hatches were completed within a day.

I agree, they appear to have developed chicks inside but no internal pips. If the eggs have been sitting out for 2 days they are most likely not viable anymore (unless it's really hot where you are) but they don't appear ready to hatch and since they are so over due it's unlikely. You could water candle them to see if the eggs move, since you're new to candling with a flashlight.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ng-egg-viability-for-late-or-overdue-hatching

Ok thank you. Our temperstures have been between 90 to 100 the last 3 weeks here. And lows at night is around 87. Its been hot. They are inside our barn and it feels even hotter inside. The minute you walk in your start sweating. Humidity is high. So i thought maybe they would still hatch but i dont think if they have hatched by today then it will probably be safe to dispose of. :(

In my experience, the one time I had late eggs in the incubator, the few that did hatch weren't strong and only 2 survived.
Personally I'd rather have them die in the shell than have them weak and die once they get out.
But everyone has a different view on it.
You may get 100% on your next hatch.
thumbsup.gif

Then you'll soon be overrun like most of us...lol.

Back
Top Bottom