Can anyone give me any pointers about these breeds?

Better get on that ASAP. Biggest mistake (and I did it to) is not having the coop already set to go before the birds arrive.

It is nearly impossible to find a prefab big enough to house more than 2-3 birds. The biggest ones would probably be the "Over EZ" coops but you will need to add more ventilation and move the roosts around in those, plus add in a run as well unless you're planning to free range all day.

For 8 standard birds you are looking at a coop that's 32 sq ft minimum, with a run that's 80 sq ft minimum. 8 ft of roost, 8 sq ft of ventilation (more in hotter climates, but you did not specify), 2-3 nest boxes. This is a recently post 32 sq ft coop with pretty good layout modifications to give you an idea of what you'd want to aim for: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/our-oak-abode-chicken-coop.1582249/
Oh no! The good news is our front yard is already fenced in. Basic fencing that may need some chicken wire ran around it (maybe?). Fence is about 3 feet tall. I def don't want predators eating my babies. Husband wants to build it instead of buy it too. He used to be a carpenter so at least we have that going for us lol.

Is free range better than having a run? Both? What's the take on that? Tons of chicken questions over here lol.

We are hoping to have the coop up by first week of july >_< Lady at Tractor Supply told me I didn't need a coop for a couple months, and could just keep them in a super large bin for now. Two of the little ladies are already testing their jumping skills and can almost jump onto the box lip. Lol. Yay me!

20230604_134828.jpg

These are the two Buff Orpingtons. They love to chill. One in the back is Chocobo. One closest to the camera is Feisty Girl (bc she is always trilling, kicking her wood shavings everywhere, and she loves pecking everything on you to check you out). They are around 2 weeks old. We bought them from Tractor Supply about 10 days ago.

Oh no! The good news is our front yard is already fenced in. Basic fencing that may need some chicken wire ran around it (maybe?). Fence is about 3 feet tall. I def don't want predators eating my babies. Husband wants to build it instead of buy it too. He used to be a carpenter so at least we have that going for us lol.
Chicken wire will help keep chickens in, but won't keep predators out, as the wire is too thin and the openings are malleable. Also unless you have the fattest, laziest chickens, they can clear 3' easily. I've found pullets sitting on top of my 6' run fence before.

Very nice that your husband has carpentry skills. Might want to show him some of the coops on here and see what he can build based off other people's experience. Look for folks in areas with similar climate to yours. For 8 birds (assuming you aren't ever expanding) coops roughly in the "medium" section should be about the right size. If you think you might want to grow the flock later on, then look at the "large" section. I built for 12 (with wiggle room for integration) and currently have 10 birds between 3 to 7 years old.
Is free range better than having a run? Both? What's the take on that? Tons of chicken questions over here lol.
Really depends on your predator load and willingness to take on that risk. I live next to a creek so we've had everything from hawks, owls, eagles, coyotes, raccoons, bobcats and a black bear come by. Only loss thus far was to a hawk as my run was not covered at the time. A securely made run is going to provide a lot more protection than free ranging, but obviously will cost time and/or money to build.
We are hoping to have the coop up by first week of july >_< Lady at Tractor Supply told me I didn't need a coop for a couple months, and could just keep them in a super large bin for now. Two of the little ladies are already testing their jumping skills and can almost jump onto the box lip. Lol. Yay me!
I brood outdoors, so my chicks are off heat and fully moved into the coop at around 4 weeks. That's how quickly they're ready for the outdoors. Make sure your brooder is securely covered, because I routinely find 2 week olds on the roof of my brooder, and that's about 24" tall.

These are the two Buff Orpingtons. They love to chill. One in the back is Chocobo. One closest to the camera is Feisty Girl (bc she is always trilling, kicking her wood shavings everywhere, and she loves pecking everything on you to check you out). They are around 2 weeks old. We bought them from Tractor Supply about 10 days ago.
Chocobo! I love it, should've named the other one Cloud. :)

Better get on that ASAP. Biggest mistake (and I did it to) is not having the coop already set to go before the birds arrive.

It is nearly impossible to find a prefab big enough to house more than 2-3 birds. The biggest ones would probably be the "Over EZ" coops but you will need to add more ventilation and move the roosts around in those, plus add in a run as well unless you're planning to free range all day.

For 8 standard birds you are looking at a coop that's 32 sq ft minimum, with a run that's 80 sq ft minimum. 8 ft of roost, 8 sq ft of ventilation (more in hotter climates, but you did not specify), 2-3 nest boxes. This is a recently post 32 sq ft coop with pretty good layout modifications to give you an idea of what you'd want to aim for: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/our-oak-abode-chicken-coop.1582249/
Also. We live in South Carolina and temperature doesn't get below 30-40 degrees in the winter. It gets around 100 here with heat index on a bad day. Hot days range from April to around October. This year though they started early. It was 70-80 in MARCH. Bleh. Average is about 85 degrees.

Also. We live in South Carolina and temperature doesn't get below 30-40 degrees in the winter. It gets around 100 here with heat index on a bad day. Hot days range from April to around October. This year though they started early. It was 70-80 in MARCH. Bleh. Average is about 85 degrees.
Build for heat then. @3KillerBs is in the Carolinas and advocates for an open air coop. Here's a thread with examples: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wanted-open-air-coop-pics.1489579/

I
Chicken wire will help keep chickens in, but won't keep predators out, as the wire is too thin and the openings are malleable. Also unless you have the fattest, laziest chickens, they can clear 3' easily. I've found pullets sitting on top of my 6' run fence before.

Very nice that your husband has carpentry skills. Might want to show him some of the coops on here and see what he can build based off other people's experience. Look for folks in areas with similar climate to yours. For 8 birds (assuming you aren't ever expanding) coops roughly in the "medium" section should be about the right size. If you think you might want to grow the flock later on, then look at the "large" section. I built for 12 (with wiggle room for integration) and currently have 10 birds between 3 to 7 years old.

Really depends on your predator load and willingness to take on that risk. I live next to a creek so we've had everything from hawks, owls, eagles, coyotes, raccoons, bobcats and a black bear come by. Only loss thus far was to a hawk as my run was not covered at the time. A securely made run is going to provide a lot more protection than free ranging, but obviously will cost time and/or money to build.

I brood outdoors, so my chicks are off heat and fully moved into the coop at around 4 weeks. That's how quickly they're ready for the outdoors. Make sure your brooder is securely covered, because I routinely find 2 week olds on the roof of my brooder, and that's about 24" tall.
I did want to get more chicks later, but that is probably a year or two away, and by then, with tax money, we would have enough to build a second area if needed. That's far off though.

Good to know they can clear 6 feet fences lol. I was told 3 feet is fine. Glad I didn't listen. I will definitely have to ensure their little chicken butts can't get into, or over, things easily.

Living in SC, in the area I am in, is what I like to call the "almost country". We aren't country country. But we aren't city either. Closest grocery store is about 15 minutes away. Closest civilization is like 25 minutes. Predators here aren't alot, but they are hawks, coyotes, and stray cats. We also have the occasional copperhead snake but those are in the wooded areas beyond the backyard, and not so much in the yard area of our house.

I have a brood lamp above their bin, and they don't huddle over it or away from it so I think I have it decent, but idk when to take it away. I don't want them to get too cold inside. Outside, daytime temps are 80s. Nighttime temps are around 65 right now. Peak summer temps are like 75 at night.

:frow from the NC Sandhills.

I'm heading for bed and have to work early tomorrow, but here are a couple articles for you:

Hot Climate Chicken Housing and Care
Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation
Hey there Carolina fam! Thanks for the articles to look through :) I will definitely be taking notes and showing hubs all the chicken info. He did find a video on YouTube by Third Coast Craftsman called the "Ultimate Backyard Chicken Coop Build" and he likes the way it is done and wants something like that. :)

Back
Top Bottom