Can anyone help identify the breed(s) of this rooster? Im thinking bielefed and new Hampshire?

Kayburt

In the Brooder
May 25, 2020
20200517_115617.jpg
20200524_075235.jpg

Kayburt

In the Brooder
May 25, 2020
Crazycrttr75
Isn't he? I just love watching his feather shine and change color when the light hits him just so.

Twizzler

Songster
May 13, 2020
Western Colorado
I’m really new to chickens but I don’t think I’ve seen any that have that have red barring on a cream background. At least that’s what it looks like. He’s pretty enough that I‘d consider getting one like him if it was allowed lol

NatJ

Crossing the Road
5 Years
Mar 20, 2017
USA
I’m really new to chickens but I don’t think I’ve seen any that have that have red barring on a cream background. At least that’s what it looks like. He’s pretty enough that I‘d consider getting one like him if it was allowed lol

Genetically, it's white barring on a red background. (The typical barred breeds have the same white barring, but on a black background.)

If you're looking for one like him: Bielefelder looks similar but more pale. Crossing a Bielefelder with a New Hampshire or a Rhode Island Red could give one like this. You could also get one by crossing a New Hampshire or Rhode Island Red hen with a Black Sexlink rooster (with Black Sexlinks, the males have barring but the females do not--that's why you'd have to use the rooster of that type.)

Twizzler

Songster
May 13, 2020
Western Colorado
Genetically, it's white barring on a red background. (The typical barred breeds have the same white barring, but on a black background.)

If you're looking for one like him: Bielefelder looks similar but more pale. Crossing a Bielefelder with a New Hampshire or a Rhode Island Red could give one like this. You could also get one by crossing a New Hampshire or Rhode Island Red hen with a Black Sexlink rooster (with Black Sexlinks, the males have barring but the females do not--that's why you'd have to use the rooster of that type.)

Thats so cool! I love genetics but I’m still learning chicken genetics and trying to develop an eye for various breeds and patterns.

Sadly I’m not allowed to have roosters where I live, but I’ll keep that advice in mind for the future!

Top Bottom