Can anyone HELP me figure out what sort of breeds might be in this roostie?

ChickN'ChaseR

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 10, 2011
He was the lone survivor of an animal attack at a friends ranch, my little Banty hen, "Fluffy" adopted him last year. He is a very sweet natured Roostie, and makes sure that the small ones in the flock get to eat before being chased off by the bigger,bossier hens. He herds his ladies around with extreme care, and avoids allowing any other rooster or animal get too close to his harem. We love him lots, but are curious as to what kinds of chickens he has descended from. So, here is the best picture I have of "Abraham" at the moment, shown here with his wife, "Elizabeth". Thanks for any help!!!

He's a generic red. The New Hampshire was bred solely out of the Rhode Island Red. The modern, hatchery quality RIR has been lightened, turned orange colored and made into a more productive bird, thus, production red. Your fellow is a red. His coloration, body shape and other features don't make him a purebred anything, really, but honestly? If he is good around the flock, that should make no difference to you whatsoever. He's also rather handsome.

Thank you for the insight! I was pretty sure he was a "mix-up" of all sorts of chickens. The people I got him from aren't chicken breeders that are concerned with genetics, they are simply ranchers who keep chickens, so I knew he came from mixed lineage. I am grateful for your input. We hatched some eggs by him for the same people who gave him to us, so they can have some chickens to start their flock again and most of the babies turned out black with yellow tummies, a couple looked just like the barred rock chicks from the feed store, but one of the hens was "Elizabeth", his wife, who is a "Feed Store Barred Rock". All in all, "Abraham" is our nicest, friendliest, and most responsible Roostie.
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom