Can anyone help me pleaseee😭.. still my 8 week old chicks are eating HUMAN HAIR!!!🤯

I have no idea, but mine are 9 weeks (10 tomorrow) and for the last couple weeks a couple of them love to pick at my hair (still attached to my head) when sitting on my shoulders. They aren't pulling it or swallowing it at least, and I do discourage it. The answer for me would be to stop letting them sit on my shoulders...perhaps it is something a smart hen would teach them, but hopefully they will figure out it is not good and stop. And then teach new littles that if they are allowed to brood.

My chicks liked to eat hair when they were little too. They did outgrow this as they got older. My daughter and I make sure our hair is up or braided around the chickens so they can't munch on the ends and hair doesn't fall out in the run.
We're actually raising the chickens and chicks at our home. They do keep on walking around us inside the house and also come to garden only with us. They have added us in their flock and keeps following everywhere throughout house and garden.. even to bedroom at night

Thank you all for your time and ideas. I will try your suggestions and will wait and see whether they will leave this habit after getting big🤗

Still no progress😔.. I have tried all the ways suggested. Even cleaned the house thrice in a day. But these chicks are scavenging for hair.. though plenty of food, water and treats are available all the time.. they just go in search for these hair. Only 6 chicks became obsessed in hair eating, the other 3 chicks of momma hen never picks a hair and they are growing in a faster rate than these 6 chicks though they are younger than those

Attachments

• 20210731_093441.jpg
    20210731_093441.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210731_093317.jpg
    20210731_093317.jpg
    554.9 KB · Views: 7
As a long-haired person living with other long-haired people, the attempt to keep hair from accumulating is futile.

Get the chickens outside where they'll have grass and other things that will be good for them to munch on. :)
No they aren't interested on grasses too as much they are interested in hair. They are picking up hair from the grasses itself by searching everywhere.. I haven't heard of any chicks doing like this!
Ignoring grasses and treats just for the sake of hair🥺

No they aren't interested on grasses too as much they are interested in hair. They are picking up hair from the grasses itself by searching everywhere.. I haven't heard of any chicks doing like this!
🤔 Is it possible that they need more protein in their diet? I've heard that chickens will pluck and eat feathers if they need more protein, but I believe that hair is made up of the same protein. What kind of food do they eat and do you know how much protein it contains?

You may need to try and see if feed with higher protein will help. It sounds like deficiency.

Back
Top Bottom