Can anyone help me with this one?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by VikingMom4, Sep 19, 2010.

1. VikingMom4

VikingMom4 New Egg

Sep 19, 2010
    Northern New Jersey
    My son got this chicken over the summer - it is now 9 1/2 weeks old. My gut tells me 'she' is a rooster - they were purchased as pullets from our local poultry farm (where we have purchased other pullets successfully). Its comb isn't bothering me as much as its green tail feathers. Can anyone offer any advice as to if it is a he or she?[​IMG]
    [URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/68068_026.jpg/img][/URL]
    [IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/68068_015.jpg

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    [​IMG]

Green tail feathers sound like a roo, but your pictures aren't showing up so it's hard to say for sure.

Wow, you're quick--Picture was up before my post was finished. Sorry, that looks like an EE roo to me. I have one that is 15 weeks old and if I had any pics. handy I'd post them for you since the coloring is very similar to yours. The only roos I've ever gotten from the pullet bin have both been EE's, I wonder if they are as harder to sex then other breeds?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  3. VikingMom4

VikingMom4 New Egg

Sep 19, 2010
    Northern New Jersey
    Thanks, this is my first post so it took me a bit to get the pictures with the post.

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Yup, that's an EE roo. Sexing turns out wrong every once in a while, though that doesn't make it any easier. Sorry. [​IMG] I hate when that happens. He'll be a beautiful chap when he matures though.

5. kcaywood

kcaywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Rancho Cordova, CA
    Your fella looks a lot like my EE roo at nine weeks. Same situation - he was sexed as a pullet also. I'm very fond of him but will eventually have to find another home for him. EEs do grow up into gorgeous, multicolored roosters - so sad to let them go!

[​IMG]

6. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I'd have to vote roo as well especially with how the comb is coming in already.

7. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Looks like a roo to me too. Look at the bright side...you can breed them and have alot more EEers!!!!

8. Loddie Da

Loddie Da Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    Troy, New York
    He's a easter egger cockerel,
    A green tail that young is almost a dead give away of male-ness, but he's a looker that's for sure.

Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

9. VikingMom4

VikingMom4 New Egg

Sep 19, 2010
    Northern New Jersey
    Thank you all very much. I think we've all be thinking it's a rooster for a while...but trying not to admit it. The worst part is he is such a sweet and gentle bird - loves to be by the kids. Wish I could send my neighbors away to another house instead of the chicken.

10. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Maybe you could caponize him so that he won't crow? That's my plan if any of mine turn into roos. There's a great thread on here which will give you a step-by-step.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by