Can anyone help my cat? PLEASE

LegHorn-BusHorn

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Near STL mo
I have an outdoor cat and he comes in only to sleep and eat. He was gone a couple days (which can be normal) and then showed up. He will hardly eat anything and drinks little but he does move around a little bit. I have some amocilian I have started to give him. Any other suggestions? I was thinking of giving him some tuna because that would only be a special treat. Any help would be appreciated because I dont have money for the vet. TY
I LOVE THIS CAT!

Is there any Cat Rescue organizations/Shelters that will help with funding for a Vet?
If he is not drinking, that isn't good. I wish I could help.

If he's not drinking, he'll get dehydrated pretty quickly. If he doesn't start eating and drinking, he really will need to see a vet soon. Sorry, not the answer you were looking for, I know.
sad.png

I'm sure you've already checked but does he have any wounds/abscesses which might be infected? How old is he? Is he vaccinated? Can you take his temp if need be?

I will give you all the info I have ... I was a vet tech for almost ten years. I have two cats of my own and I've self-medicated them for abscesses but usually they were visible. Check the base of the tail which is usually where cats get bitten due to one male trying to bite the testicles off another male. (They are quite ferocious, our little kitty cats. LOL)

Amox should be 5 mg per pound every 12-24 hours. If you have capsules, the best way to do this is to check the mg of the capsule, break the shell, mix the powder in water, estimate how much of the mixture you'll need (i.e. --- if you had 100 mg capsules for a human and you're treating a ten pound cat, you'd use half of the mixture). You'll probably have to use a syringe to get him to take it.

Good luck ... if you want to PM me I'll be up for a while. My son is at my mom's tonight and me and the dogs are watching "The Office" on DVD.
lol.png

PS --- Skip the tuna for now. He'll probably eat it but he'll also probably puke it which will make him lose liquids as well.

I have the same situation. My cat will not eat anything at all I have tried goats milk, canned cat food and the stuff that comes in a tube for sick or very active cats and dogs. I am at a loss as what to do next. His eyes are cloudy and a little runny. I dont mean to hijack your thread it was so strange that you have exactly the same issue with your cat as I do. Mine is neutered and had all his vac's as a kitten. If you find out what is wrong with your cat can you let me PM me and I will do the same. I was going to take mine to the vet today but they are a half hour away and I didnt make it on time. I am taking him on Monday. If I find out what he has I will let you know. Is the amocilian helping him at all? Thanks for posting this

His eyes are fine. I appreciate your help, I did force a small amount of water down him with a syringe I had and he is seeming to keep it well so far, The tuna I gave him came up about an hour later. I am going to take him to the vet mon morning, money or not, i just love him. Its just an outdorr cat can just about get into anything and its hard to know what. I hope your cat does well. keep me posted.

I will say a prayer for both our babies tonight
hugs.gif
to you I know how you feel and what you are going through. I hope we both find out and are able to save them. Did the amocilian help at all? I have some and if it helped with yours I am going to give mine some also.

Keep us posted about this... I have always gotten puny dogs and cats to drink a little by pouring a bit of chicken broth in a bit of water... it sounds like he has something else going on. Your Vet may have some alternatives for financing, hats off for doing the right thing by taking him in.

I hope he'll be alright.

He could have eaten a poison mouse or rat. Vitamin K would help if that was the case. We put out poison for the mice around here. If there where many cats around I wouldn't do it for fear of killing somebodys pet cat. I was told my the people that used to come out to do pest control that if our dogs got into the poison to give them vitamin K and to a vet as soon as possible. I don't know how much though. The poison will make your cat bleed internally until it bleeds to death and dies. A horrible death. Maybe the vet tech can give more advice on the symptoms and how much to give.

Here is a good web site with information on poisoning but it doesn't sound to me like that's the problem. Animals who've gotten into poison would most likely exhibit symptoms of a neurological nature in addition to the vomiting. They'd be drooling. They may have a head tilt. Might walk in circles. Couldn't stand. Bleeding from the nose or eyes (that's where the Vitamin K would come in as it helps with clotting). If the cat had gotten into something even as minor as bad garbage, it's good that he threw up.

Hopefully whatever was in his belly is now out and with a good night's rest he'll be feeling better. Even if it takes some coercion (in the form of syringe-feeding water and boiling him some chicken), eventually he'll gain his strength back. I just wouldn't worry yourself anymore. You're doing a great job and even if he complains about being stuck inside, I'm sure deep down he appreciates it.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom