Can anyone help with a dog with a possible food allergy?

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
We have a 5 year old yellow lab pup. He is such a good boy and loves running on trail rides with us and the horses, and chasing a stick. He has recently developed a limp, when he gets up in the morning, and after we run him on the trails sometimes. We took him to the vet and they told us he had tendonidouse. We kept him as chill as possible for 2 weeks, but nothing changed. We then noticed he had a hot spot on his shoulder, and he was continually chewing his paws.

We have done research, and are thinking a food allergy may be the cause of this. He also have and ear infection that is being difficult to get rid of. Apparently, paw chewing, hot spots, and ear infections are all signs of a food allergy. We want to figure out how to find his possible allergen without taking him to the vet to get a bunch of testing done. We are thinking of trying to find him a hypoallergenic or limited ingredient dog food and then eliminating and reintroducing ingredients to find his allergen. Does anyone know a food brand that we could use that isn't to pricey? We think his limp is because he is chewing his paws all night because of the itch, and then they hurt in the morning, and when he runs because he is chewing them so much. Any advice is appreciated, and if any of you have had this issue before and would like to offer your opinion please do. Thanks so much, Avery

What brand of food is he on now? And what is the price range you are looking at? How long has he been on this food and when did the symptoms start occurring?

What brand of food is he on now? And what is the price range you are looking at? How long has he been on this food and when did the symptoms start occurring?
He eats Iams dog food from Costco, and has had these symptoms for 3ish months? The food we buy now is $41 for a 50 pound bag. I found a brand that looked really good on amazon, a bit cheeper on chewy, but it was $43 for a 22 pound bag, so it was double the price of the Iams. We would preferably want something cheeper then that, but if we have to pay the 43 for the Blue Buffalo I was looking at, then we will. Thanks so much for the quick reply!:)

“What most people mean when they say that their dog has a food allergy is that their dog has a food sensitivity, also known as a food intolerance. Food sensitivities, unlike true allergies, do not involve an immune response and are instead a gradual reaction to an offending ingredient in your dog’s food, for example to beef, chicken, eggs, corn, wheat, soy, or milk.

Dogs with food sensitivities can present with several symptoms, including gastrointestinal signs such as vomiting and diarrhea, or dermatologic signs like itchiness, poor skin and coat, and chronic ear or foot infections.

The best way to diagnose and treat a food allergy is to work with your veterinarian to manage your dog’s symptoms and discover the ingredient causing the reaction.”

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/health/dog-allergies-symptoms-treatment/

I personally have my dog (who is prone to health conditions, including diarrhea and vomiting) on Diamond Naturals. Anything else I gave him seem to make him sick.
They make different types of food for different needs. Mine is on the Senior and I get it for $35 on Amazon (it's a 40lb bag). I personally like the brand better than anything else I have given him.

I know people who are also very fond of the Taste of the Wild brand dog food and even science diet, but they can get a little pricey. Nutrisource and Country Vet might be worth looking into as well.

I personally have my dog (who is prone to health conditions, including diarrhea and vomiting) on Diamond Naturals. Anything else I gave him seem to make him sick.
They make different types of food for different needs. Mine is on the Senior and I get it for $35 on Amazon (it's a 40lb bag). I personally like the brand better than anything else I have given him.

I know people who are also very fond of the Taste of the Wild brand dog food and even science diet, but they can get a little pricey. Nutrisource and Country Vet might be worth looking into as well.
I am looking at this now! Thank you!

Sorting out food ingredient issues will take some time, and there won't be a 'cheap' diet that will work.
It's easiest and fastest to find a medium protein diet that has no ingredients (meats or grains) that he's been eating, from a company that makes 'fixed formula' diets, rather than 'what's least expensive this week' ingredients.
Then, wean him to that new diet, and be rigid about it for three or four months. That means no animal part chewies, or table food or treats that have ingredients he was eating before.
I've had three dogs who had food ingredient problems, and they all took about ten weeks being 'on the wagon' before their problems subsided. And, a couple of treats once monthly would trigger relapses.
Mary

If you suspect a food sensitivity, the most important thing to do is find a food with as few protein sources as possible (its the body's reaction to proteins that most often causes food sensitivities) and find different proteins than the ones you are currently feeding.

If you are feeding chicken and oats, for example, switch to something like lamb and rice, beef and barley, salmon and peas, etc. Just be aware of the ingredient panel; it's common for foods to have multiple protein sources, and protein doesn't always come from meat. Wheat, barley, corn, peas, potatoes, etc are all common ingredients and can cause sensitivities.

Back
Top Bottom