Can anyone help?

TaluMom

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2022
Hi. We have raised chickens for quite some time, and hubby wanted turkeys this year. We got 4 - 2 Bronze and 2 White. 1 of the white ones has not seemed "right" from the time we brought him home. He does eat, and drink. He did have pasty butt when we brought him home, and that has improved. However, he often stands alone at the back of the brooder, face to wall - one wing slightly hanging. He has not grown 1/2 as much as the other three. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how we can help this little guy frow to his potential? Thank you for reading.

There could be lots of reasons.... stress, sickness, genetics, infection possibly....If you feel really worried, I would take him to a vet or try and give him some extra vitamins, probiotics, calcium, water, and electrolytes... I don't know much about turkey's so Ill help by commenting for someone who might be able to give more info!

There could be lots of reasons.... stress, sickness, genetics, infection possibly....If you feel really worried, I would take him to a vet or try and give him some extra vitamins, probiotics, calcium, water, and electrolytes... I don't know much about turkey's so Ill help by commenting for someone who might be able to give more info!
Thank you. We are doing the probiotics, calcium and electrolytes. As we both think he hasn't quite been "right" since bringing him home, I am leaning towards stress or just not healthy at hatching. As I said, chickens I know about - turkeys - not so much. I do appreciate your thoughts.

Update: While still much smaller than the rest, he seems to be improving daily! Socializing more, eating and drinking a LOT more than before. Fingers crossed!! 😊🦃

Hi. We have raised chickens for quite some time, and hubby wanted turkeys this year. We got 4 - 2 Bronze and 2 White. 1 of the white ones has not seemed "right" from the time we brought him home. He does eat, and drink. He did have pasty butt when we brought him home, and that has improved. However, he often stands alone at the back of the brooder, face to wall - one wing slightly hanging. He has not grown 1/2 as much as the other three. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how we can help this little guy frow to his potential? Thank you for reading.
@R2elk , Any suggestions/advice?

I'd try some nutridrench I had a little one like that that seemed slower than the rest I had to help it to the feed dish and water. I gave it some direct nutridrench a couple times then made sure I had it in their water it eventually caught up with the rest but was just the runt. It's doing great today still smaller but just as fiesty as it's bigger siblings.

I'd try some nutridrench I had a little one like that that seemed slower than the rest I had to help it to the feed dish and water. I gave it some direct nutridrench a couple times then made sure I had it in their water it eventually caught up with the rest but was just the runt. It's doing great today still smaller but just as fiesty as it's bigger siblings.
Thanks! As I had said, he is doing so much better now. He does eat/drink well - do you think I should give it to him anyway? My "Little Bit" (as he has been named!) is not quite as fiesty yet, but he is getting there!

Back
Top Bottom