Can anyone identify a baby runner for me?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chrystalduck, May 27, 2011.

1. chrystalduck

chrystalduck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Okay, I usually don't do this. Count my ducks before they hatch, but, they are rocking, pippin and ready to zip [​IMG] My problem is, I have WH and I should have a runner cross in the bunch. Plus a numerous assortment. Can anyone identify the runner in the bunch? I am hatching these for my sil but, I really would like to keep an offspring of my runner girl.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    it may be possible to pick it out once its fluffed up and walking around. Runners are a slightly different body and head shape from other ducklings but being a cross might make it harder. - also genetics- and who was the mother /father of the group of ducklings may help as well. Post a pic when they are all hatched- and Im sure people on hear will help you work it out.

3. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    After a day or two you should be able to. (depending on what she's crossed with)
    If you post pictures I can probably pick her out for you. [​IMG]

Emily

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    It should be thinner and stand taller.

5. chickschool

chickschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    Here is a picture of my Chocolate Runner and White Crested at about 3 weeks. It might help later if you can't tell now.

[​IMG]

6. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] OMG That photo is BRILLIANT. The ducks are just standing there as if they are listening to every word the kids are saying. That is priceless.

7. chrystalduck

chrystalduck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    That picture is adorable.. My runner girl is full runner. I am so nervous waiting on them to break free from the shell. I will need to identify the runner, hopefully runners, soon. My sil is anxiously waiting the babies and I don't blame her, I would want them soon after hatch too. Oh heck, I can see where this is headed, I can't keep just one I will have to keep 2 of them [​IMG]. If all goes well with the hatch, I will get pix posted of the babies and the possible mamas and daddys. Last hatch I marked each egg, thinking I would know who was who after hatching. They started hatching so fast there was no way to keep up [​IMG] I am pretty certain there was a few little runners in the bunch. Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by