Can Anyone Identify the Breed?

Can anyone tell me why his earlobes are yellow? I know nothing about True Blues except what I learned here, but I've never seen any chicken images where the rooster had yellow earlobes. It does not appear to be an infection of any kind - close up, his earlobes look perfectly normal except for the coloring. Thoughts anyone??

Can anyone tell me why his earlobes are yellow? I know nothing about True Blues except what I learned here, but I've never seen any chicken images where the rooster had yellow earlobes. It does not appear to be an infection of any kind - close up, his earlobes look perfectly normal except for the coloring. Thoughts anyone??
I have a couple birds with colored earlobes, as far as I know, it's just a genetic thing.
I've heard some people say the earlobes can predict the egg color? I'm not entirely sure if that's accurate though.

Chickens that are supposed to have "white" earlobes can have other colors there sometimes. I think I've seen yellow, green, and blue. Something about the way the white is formed, allows other colors depending on what skin color the chicken has. One of the most striking examples is in Silkies, which tend to have bright turquoise-blue earlobes (same genetic mechanism as white earlobes that show other colors, but quite colorful indeed!)

I've heard some people say the earlobes can predict the egg color? I'm not entirely sure if that's accurate though.
Earlobe color can help you tell what breed a chicken is. If you know the breed, you usually know the egg color too. For example, if you have two white chickens with different color earlobes: one with red earlobes might be a White Rock (lays brown eggs), and one with white earlobes might be a White Leghorn (lays white eggs.) But in that example, earlobe color is not the only difference between the breeds. They also have different body shapes & sizes, and lay different numbers of eggs as well as different colors.

Many of the breeds with red earlobes do lay brown eggs because they are somewhat related to each other (so they tend to share earlobe color, body size & shape, egg color, and various other traits as well.) Many of the breeds with white earlobes do lay white eggs, again because they are somewhat related to each other (and tend to share earlobe color, body size & shape, egg colors, a tendency to be very good layers, and various other traits.)

But there are some chicken breeds that break that pattern (examples: Dorkings have red earlobes and lay white eggs, while Penedesencas have white earlobes and lay dark brown eggs.) Mixed breeds can have earlobes that are red, white, or a mixture of the two colors. They can also lay eggs of any color, depending on what traits were in the breeds that were involved in the mix.

Chickens that lay blue or green eggs can also have earlobes that are red, white, or mixed red & white.

There is no genetic reason for any association of earlobe color and egg color. When it does correlate, it is because of what people decided to breed for, or because of what breeds they mixed to make new breeds (if you cross two breeds with matching earlobe colors and matching egg colors, it's not surprising that the chicks inherit the same earlobe and egg colors as both parent breeds.)

He's absolutely gorgeous but there's no way he's a Buff Orpington. He was part of a straight run of Buff Orpington's although as a chick, he looked exactly like the Orpington's in every respect but suddenly, he's become this gorgeous peacock but I cannot identify the breed. A mix of some sort perhaps???
I purchased them from Tractor Supply about 6 months ago...so somewhere around October??
What's up with that whacky comb and yellow ear lobes??
View attachment 3767759
Like several others, I'm thinking Yokohama or Whiting True Blue or some version of Easter Egger.

I would expect either a pure Yokohama or no Yokohama at all, not a mix. If he is a Yokohama, his tail will probably grow long enough to trail on the ground, at least a bit, over the next few months. That is one way to potentially figure out if he is a Yokohama or not.

Since he is a male, of course you can't check the breed by looking at what egg color the bird lays. If he sires chicks, and the mothers lay brown or white eggs, you will be able to tell the rooster's genes by what color eggs his daughters lay (if they lay blue or green, the gene must have come from him. If they all lay brown or white eggs, he doesn't have the blue egg gene either.)

Or if you want to know egg color faster, there is a DNA test for the blue egg gene:
https://iqbirdtesting.com/blueegg

If you are just idly curious, it is probably not worth the time and money to do test-mating or a DNA test. If you really want to know, the DNA test would be faster than test-mating. A Yokohamas would not have the blue egg gene. Whiting True Blue is supposed to have two copies of the blue egg gene. Easter Eggers in general can have one or two copies of the blue egg gene.

Earlobe color can help you tell what breed a chicken is. If you know the breed, you usually know the egg color too. For example, if you have two white chickens with different color earlobes: one with red earlobes might be a White Rock (lays brown eggs), and one with white earlobes might be a White Leghorn (lays white eggs.) But in that example, earlobe color is not the only difference between the breeds. They also have different body shapes & sizes, and lay different numbers of eggs as well as different colors.

Many of the breeds with red earlobes do lay brown eggs because they are somewhat related to each other (so they tend to share earlobe color, body size & shape, egg color, and various other traits as well.) Many of the breeds with white earlobes do lay white eggs, again because they are somewhat related to each other (and tend to share earlobe color, body size & shape, egg colors, a tendency to be very good layers, and various other traits.)

But there are some chicken breeds that break that pattern (examples: Dorkings have red earlobes and lay white eggs, while Penedesencas have white earlobes and lay dark brown eggs.) Mixed breeds can have earlobes that are red, white, or a mixture of the two colors. They can also lay eggs of any color, depending on what traits were in the breeds that were involved in the mix.

Chickens that lay blue or green eggs can also have earlobes that are red, white, or mixed red & white.

There is no genetic reason for any association of earlobe color and egg color. When it does correlate, it is because of what people decided to breed for, or because of what breeds they mixed to make new breeds (if you cross two breeds with matching earlobe colors and matching egg colors, it's not surprising that the chicks inherit the same earlobe and egg colors as both parent breeds.)
Thank you, I didn't know that! :goodpost:

Again, I thank you all so very much for all of this wonderful information! I'm so excited to see if he grows long trailing tail feathers or if his daughters produce blue eggs!! I am also thankful for the DNA info link NatJ!!! However, the excitement of surprise is just so wonderful that I think I'm going to wait it out....it's like slowly opening a Christmas present!!!
Y'all are wonderful and so full of chicken wisdom!! :wee:wee:wee

Back
Top Bottom