Can anyone identify this bird?

SobakaandHobbles

Hatching
Jun 12, 2020
So last night I found this bird floating in the pond behind my house. The darker colored feathers in the photo are a mix of green, purple and gray. I believe it to be a pigeon or pigeon hybrid. I have rescued muscovy ducks in the past and I have no idea why he was floating in the pond. There aren't any apparent injuries or pest infestation. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20200612_100432.jpg
    IMG_20200612_100432.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 31
So last night I found this bird floating in the pond behind my house. The darker colored feathers in the photo are a mix of green, purple and gray. I believe it to be a pigeon or pigeon hybrid. I have rescued muscovy ducks in the past and I have no idea why he was floating in the pond. There aren't any apparent injuries or pest infestation. Any help is appreciated.
That’s a domesticated pigeon.

it could be an a hybrid pigeon. i suggest that you keep it since it is letting you hold it. it may have been attacked by a predator and swooped down accidentally hitting the pond water and getting stuc. he probably got tired after a little while a just decided to wait there. beautiful pigeon tho. take good care of him!

No leg bands and it was not noticably injured. It was just floating in a pond which is a strange place to find a pigeon. I thought pigeon but it has a short neck and a hook at the end of it's beak like a bird of prey. That is the only reason I second guessed myself.
It's definitely a pigeon, a very pretty grizzle. I'm surprised its not banded. A young, inexperienced bird who accidentally landed in water like @ameliathedominant suggested. Are you wanting to keep it?

Back
Top Bottom