Can anyone identify this disease?

newbie645

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 21, 2018
Hello everyone. I usually raise a few broilers every couple months for meat and have been experiencing roughly 5% losses as chicks which is normal from what I've read. Recently the losses have been getting greater and greater, sometimes as much as 40% and it happens when the chicks are 3+ weeks old when they should be supposedly more resistant to diseases.

I will notice the chickens have slowed movements and tend to distance themselves from the others hardly eating or drinking. Within a day or 2 after noticing this, they are dead. I sometimes notice a wing that might be swollen and blueish/purple. I have attached images of one of the chickens with one normal wing and one swollen one. Anyone have any idea what's causing this and what I can do about it?

Attachments

• right wing.jpg
    right wing.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 18
  • left wing.jpg
    left wing.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 17
I would definitely be sending a recent dead bird to your state poultry lab so you can positively identify what is progressively moving through your flock so you can eliminate any future losses.
What state are you in?

I live outside of the US (Grenada) and not aware of any poultry lab or such facility to help me in my location. So I was hoping someone with the same problem could help me identify the issue. I can't be the only one.

Hello everyone. I usually raise a few broilers every couple months for meat and have been experiencing roughly 5% losses as chicks which is normal from what I've read. Recently the losses have been getting greater and greater, sometimes as much as 40% and it happens when the chicks are 3+ weeks old when they should be supposedly more resistant to diseases.

I will notice the chickens have slowed movements and tend to distance themselves from the others hardly eating or drinking. Within a day or 2 after noticing this, they are dead. I sometimes notice a wing that might be swollen and blueish/purple. I have attached images of one of the chickens with one normal wing and one swollen one. Anyone have any idea what's causing this and what I can do about it?
I live outside of the US (Grenada) and not aware of any poultry lab or such facility to help me in my location. So I was hoping someone with the same problem could help me identify the issue. I can't be the only one.
Getting testing is a very good idea.
I have never seen this, but it reminds me of a few things I have read about - not sure if this is your problem or not, but may give you a lead for your research.

https://www.poultryworld.net/Health/health_tool/Chicken-anaemia-virus-CAV-blue-wing-disease/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18766815/

Back
Top Bottom