Mycoplasma?

Max Forister

Hatching
Jan 18, 2024
Greenville, SC
So a while back I noticed one of my chickens' eye was white, but I never got a good look at it, because it is super skiddish. But recently I picked it up because it had escaped and I noticed that puss was oozing from its eye and there was bubbles, I isolated it so it didn't spread and then tried to research what it was. I found that it could be a form of mycoplasma according to the bubbles and puss, but I haven't witnessed any sneezing or coughing, or any other symptoms for that matter. So I have a few questions, one of which is: Is it mycoplasma or could it be something else? And if it is mycoplasma, the chicken must be gotten rid of since the disease is incurable, so should I take it somewhere, and is there any place near Greenville, SC that accepts diseased chickens? I have called several places and none of them were able to help. And if there isn't any place, I would obviously have to cull it, right? Below are pictures, the bubbling only comes from the left eye.

Attachments

• IMG_7048.JPG
    IMG_7048.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7054.JPG
    IMG_7054.JPG
    219.8 KB · Views: 7
Mycoplasma can present with several symptoms or just one. In some chickens it causes runny nose/eyes, wheezing, gurgling, swollen eye, pale comb, listlessness, etc. while in others it can be only one of those. Pleuromutilin or oxytetracycline antibiotics can help. The disease stays with the chicken for life after it recovers and it can potentially infect others, but some people choose to treat it in a separate area and let it back with others after some time. It's up to you whether you want to accept the risk and to cull it or not.

That said, it can be other things, a respiratory disease, rhinitis, coryza, etc. can all present with watery eyes. Are there any other symptoms? Something different in her behavior, movements, habits? Have you noticed how her poo looks like?

Can't help with SC info.

Mycoplasma can present with several symptoms or just one. In some chickens it causes runny nose/eyes, wheezing, gurgling, swollen eye, pale comb, listlessness, etc. while in others it can be only one of those. Pleuromutilin or oxytetracycline antibiotics can help. The disease stays with the chicken for life after it recovers and it can potentially infect others, but some people choose to treat it in a separate area and let it back with others after some time. It's up to you whether you want to accept the risk and to cull it or not.

That said, it can be other things, a respiratory disease, rhinitis, coryza, etc. can all present with watery eyes. Are there any other symptoms? Something different in her behavior, movements, habits? Have you noticed how her poo looks like?

Can't help with SC info.
Thank you, everything is just as she has always been, then again this hen was a neighbor’s who let their chickens run free around their yard, and we are in a neighborhood. That said, I haven’t handled her much and I don’t really know what out of the norm for her. I’ll do some research on what you said.

So a while back I noticed one of my chickens' eye was white, but I never got a good look at it, because it is super skiddish. But recently I picked it up because it had escaped and I noticed that puss was oozing from its eye and there was bubbles, I isolated it so it didn't spread and then tried to research what it was. I found that it could be a form of mycoplasma according to the bubbles and puss, but I haven't witnessed any sneezing or coughing, or any other symptoms for that matter. So I have a few questions, one of which is: Is it mycoplasma or could it be something else? And if it is mycoplasma, the chicken must be gotten rid of since the disease is incurable, so should I take it somewhere, and is there any place near Greenville, SC that accepts diseased chickens? I have called several places and none of them were able to help. And if there isn't any place, I would obviously have to cull it, right? Below are pictures, the bubbling only comes from the left eye.
First of all, it would be wise to clean the eye with saline, remove the pus and bubbles daily. Apply an ointment like Terramycin in the eye.

It's very hard to know if she has Mycoplasma without testing. You can go through your State Lab or through an independent testing Lab.

Sometimes antibiotics are needed to treat infection, but if she's not coughing, sneezing, etc., see if the eye will clear up with daily care.

Back
Top Bottom